Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Unionized workers at Canada Post to start voting on contract offer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 21 Jul, 2025 10:31 AM
  • Unionized workers at Canada Post to start voting on contract offer

Unionized workers at Canada Post begin voting on the Crown corporation's latest contract offer on Monday.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers is urging they reject the proposal.

Canada Post is at an impasse with the union representing roughly 55,000 postal service workers after more than a year and a half of talks.

The vote comes after federal Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to step in and put the Crown corporation's latest offer to a vote.

Voting will be open until Aug. 1.

The offer includes wage hikes of about 13 per cent over four years but also adds part-time workers that Canada Post has said are necessary to keep the postal service afloat.

The Crown corporation's operating losses amounted to $10 million a day in June, said Canada Post spokesman Jon Hamilton.

"We hope our employees see these offers provide certainty for the road ahead and vote yes to make them their new collective agreements," he said in a statement.

"If the vote is positive, the offers become new collective agreements effective until Jan. 31, 2028. If not, Canada Post won’t speculate other than to say the uncertainty will continue."

Union national president Jan Simpson has said a strong no vote would not only reject the offer, but also protect the integrity of the bargaining process.

A postal strike could push 63 per cent of businesses to walk away from Canada Post permanently, according to a survey released Monday by the Canadian Federation of Independent Business.

It said around 13 per cent of small firms already stopped using Canada Post after the 2024 strike.

CFIB estimates that work stoppage cost small businesses between $75 million to $100 million each day. 

It says more than 70 per cent of businesses responded to the disruptions by encouraging customers to use digital options, 45 per cent turned to private couriers, while 27 per cent delayed mail.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christinne Muschi

MORE National ARTICLES

Seizure of drugs & weapons in Prince George

Seizure of drugs & weapons in Prince George
Mounties in Prince George say an investigation has led to the seizure of drugs and various weapons from two homes. They say quantities of drugs, including suspected fentanyl, were found during the search on May 14th. Mounties are calling it a "significant blow" to the illicit drug trade in Prince George.

Seizure of drugs & weapons in Prince George

2 arrested in pepper spray attack

2 arrested in pepper spray attack
New Westminster police say two people have been arrested after a student was attacked with pepper spray at a high school earlier this month. The incident happened at New Westminster Secondary School the morning of May 17th.

2 arrested in pepper spray attack

Human smugglers used B.C. freight trains to move people across border, U.S. says

Human smugglers used B.C. freight trains to move people across border, U.S. says
The U.S. Department of Justice says two men are facing human smuggling charges in Seattle for their alleged role in what it calls a dangerous scheme to transport people out of British Columbia and across the border on freight trains. 

Human smugglers used B.C. freight trains to move people across border, U.S. says

Nominations are now open for the 2024 Darpan Awards

Nominations are now open for the 2024 Darpan Awards
Get ready for the biggest awards night on September 27th!! It's the 14th annual Darpan Extraordinary Achievement Awards. The night will recognize 10 incredible South Asian achievers who have contributed greatly to their particular field.

Nominations are now open for the 2024 Darpan Awards

Saskatchewan NDP asks Speaker to call meeting on gun allegation, invite investigation

Saskatchewan NDP asks Speaker to call meeting on gun allegation, invite investigation
Saskatchewan's Opposition is calling on the Speaker to set the wheels in motion for a third-party investigation into gun-carrying and bullying behaviour inside the legislature.

Saskatchewan NDP asks Speaker to call meeting on gun allegation, invite investigation

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit
Lawyers for several Humboldt Broncos families were in court Tuesday fighting a bid by the government of Saskatchewan to have it removed as a defendant in a lawsuit over the deadly bus crash in 2018. 

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit