Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

University Of B.C. Launches 5G Campus

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Nov, 2019 06:38 PM

    VANCOUVER - Rogers Communications and the University of British Columbia have fired up what is believed to be Canada's first 5G-powered smart campus.

     

    A company statement says the launch allows university researchers to test real-time 5G applications as Rogers prepares to unveil a national network of the ultra high-speed 5G mobile wireless system next year.

     

    The system is the fifth generation of mobile wireless, offering speeds of up to 100 gigabits per second, making it about 100 times faster than current 4G technology.

     

    It also has the potential for nearly instantaneous links between devices and cellphone towers.

     

    The university's Point Grey smart campus includes several 5G towers and a computing and data storage facility similar to the cloud, but it saves time and bandwidth because it's closer to where it's required.

     

     

    The smart campus initiative is part of a multimillion-dollar partnership with Rogers aimed at funding academic research in 5G applications and applied sciences.

     

    Rogers says several research projects are underway using the campus's 5G network, including development of earthquake and tsunami detection technology that takes advantage of the one- to two-millisecond connection time between transmitters and devices.

     

    Bruce Ralston, British Columbia's Minister of Jobs, Trade and Technology said the launch of the smart campus demonstrates the government's commitment to strengthening the tech and innovation sector and supporting training needs.

     

    "5G brings enormous opportunity for our province and the students who experience this hands-on training," he said in the statement.

     

    "We are excited to see what applications they develop during their time at UBC.”

     

     

    Rogers said it's continuing to test 5G in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver, while also upgrading its national 4.5G network with 5G-ready technology.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Doug Ford Says Boris Johnson Will Do 'Great Job' As Britain's Next Prime Minister

    Ontario Premier Doug Ford says Boris Johnson will do a "great job" as Britain's next prime minister.

    Doug Ford Says Boris Johnson Will Do 'Great Job' As Britain's Next Prime Minister

    Former Humboldt Broncos Player Who Survived Bus Crash Hopes For Spot On Team

    A former Humboldt Broncos player whose back was broken when the team's bus crashed last year says he'll return to Humboldt to battle for a spot on the team.

    Former Humboldt Broncos Player Who Survived Bus Crash Hopes For Spot On Team

    Canada Launches Multibillion-Dollar Bidding Process For 88 New Fighter Jets

    Canada Launches Multibillion-Dollar Bidding Process For 88 New Fighter Jets
    The jets — part of a procurement package worth about $19 billion — are to replace the country's aging CF-18s, which have been in service for more than 35 years.

    Canada Launches Multibillion-Dollar Bidding Process For 88 New Fighter Jets

    Opponents Seek To Appeal Decision Maintaining Bill 21

    Opponents Seek To Appeal Decision Maintaining Bill 21
    At its core, Farooq said, the law divides and forces people to give up their identities, and if they refuse, they're deemed unwelcome in segments of society.

    Opponents Seek To Appeal Decision Maintaining Bill 21

    CBSA Looks For Actors To Play Smugglers, Be Struck For Recruit Training Program

    CBSA Looks For Actors To Play Smugglers, Be Struck For Recruit Training Program
    OTTAWA - The Canada Border Services Agency is looking once again for a handful of stunt actors to be thrown down, handcuffed, searched and beaten to help train new recruits.

    CBSA Looks For Actors To Play Smugglers, Be Struck For Recruit Training Program

    Violin Teacher Who Measured Girls' Breasts Convicted Of Sexual Assault On Appeal

    The Court of Appeal for Ontario overturned Claude Trachy's acquittals on those charges but upheld them on a number of sexual interference and sexual exploitation charges, which do require sexual intentions for a conviction.

    Violin Teacher Who Measured Girls' Breasts Convicted Of Sexual Assault On Appeal