Friday, August 29, 2025
ADVT 
National

University of Ottawa to follow task force report on sexual harassment

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Jan, 2015 10:44 AM

    OTTAWA — The president of the University of Ottawa says the school will implement a comprehensive plan to combat sexual harassment and violence in the wake of a sex assault scandal that swamped its men's hockey team last year.

    Allan Rock says the university will adopt the 11 recommendations presented today by a task force which was formed last year after a pair of sexual violence incidents.

    He says the aim is to encourage respectful behaviour, prevent sexual violence and ensure that students and employees can work free of harassment and sexual violence.

    Last February, members of the university men's hockey team were involved in an alleged sexual assault and the team was suspended for the season.

    That was followed by Facebook incident in which sexually derogatory and violent comments were directed against the female president of the student federation.

    Rock says the university will teach students about sexual consent, train managers and staff on harassment and sexual violence issues and devise a fair and open process to deal with cases of misbehaviour.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Tech Treats Hundreds To Free Coding Camp To Prompt Digital Literacy

    Tech Treats Hundreds To Free Coding Camp To Prompt Digital Literacy
    Squamish Nation member Khelsilem is fluent in his native tongue and passionately spearheading a project to revitalize indigenous languages. But he wants to turbocharge his linguistic proficiency by learning an entirely new and universal language — computer coding.

    Tech Treats Hundreds To Free Coding Camp To Prompt Digital Literacy

    Late Night Stabbing In Burnaby, Sends Man To Hospital; RCMP Investigating

    Late Night Stabbing In Burnaby, Sends Man To Hospital; RCMP Investigating
    Officers were called to the area of Beaverbrook Crescent and Capella Drive after receiving reports of a group of people fighting.

    Late Night Stabbing In Burnaby, Sends Man To Hospital; RCMP Investigating

    Legendary Canadian Figure Skater Toller Cranston Dies From Apparent Heart Attack

    Legendary Canadian Figure Skater Toller Cranston Dies From Apparent Heart Attack
    Toller Cranston, a larger-than-life star on and off the ice who helped revolutionize the sport, died at his home in Mexico from an apparent heart attack, a Skate Canada spokesperson said Saturday.

    Legendary Canadian Figure Skater Toller Cranston Dies From Apparent Heart Attack

    NHL Announces That World Cup Of Hockey Will Return Next Year In Toronto

    NHL Announces That World Cup Of Hockey Will Return Next Year In Toronto
    COLUMBUS, Ohio — The World Cup of Hockey is back with a new format as the NHL seeks to create the best tournament in the world to launch a series of new international events.

    NHL Announces That World Cup Of Hockey Will Return Next Year In Toronto

    Alberta Premier Pledges $20 Million To Fast-track Flood Claims From 2013

    Alberta Premier Pledges $20 Million To Fast-track Flood Claims From 2013
    HIGH RIVER, Alta. — The Alberta government is providing an extra $20 million to fast-track the remaining claims from the province's 2013 floods.

    Alberta Premier Pledges $20 Million To Fast-track Flood Claims From 2013

    Canadian Man Pleads Not Guilty To Aiding Suicide Attack That Killed US Soldiers

    Canadian Man Pleads Not Guilty To Aiding Suicide Attack That Killed US Soldiers
    NEW YORK — A Canadian man pleaded not guilty Saturday to U.S. charges that he sent money and provided other long-distance support to Tunisian jihadists believed responsible for a 2009 suicide attack in Iraq that killed five American soldiers.

    Canadian Man Pleads Not Guilty To Aiding Suicide Attack That Killed US Soldiers