Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:48 PM
  • U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

British Columbia Energy Minister Adrian Dix says the looming threat of American tariffs raises the stakes for boosting the province's energy independence.

Dix says there was urgency before the U.S. election last November, but "there's more now" as American President Donald Trump threatens to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.

The minister was speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, where he announced the signing of an agreement between the Saulteau First Nations and BC Hydro to supply electricity from a 200-megawatt wind project in northeastern B.C.

Saulteau First Nations holds a 51 per cent economic interest in the Taylor Wind project, which is expected to produce enough electricity to power about 60,000 homes.

Taylor Wind is one of 10 clean-energy projects selected to advance from BC Hydro's call for power last year, and Dix says it's a "good step" on B.C.'s quest to become a world leader in renewables, while strengthening the province's energy security.

But former B.C. environment minister Barry Penner, who's now the chair for the Energy Futures Institute, says the province faces a significant gap between its current capacity and the electricity that will be needed to meet clean energy targets and demand from population growth.

"I didn't anticipate Donald Trump threatening tariffs, but I've been saying for more than a year now, it's a risky proposition to be dependent on your neighbour to bail you out when you have an electricity crunch," says Penner, adding utilities south of the border are facing their own challenges.

B.C. has been a net importer of electricity over the last two years, he notes, with the purchase of about 20 per cent of its power from Alberta in 2023 and 2024.

"That works out to about two Site C dams worth of electricity … in both of those years," says Penner, referring to the mega-dam under construction in northeastern B.C.

A prolonged drought in the province has added to the challenge, he says, forcing BC Hydro to hold water back in its dams to ensure there's enough electricity during times of peak demand.

Site C is expected to add about eight per cent more supply to B.C.'s electricity grid, though just as it's coming online, Penner says older dams are being taken out of service for maintenance and repair work.

The 10 wind projects first announced last December are also expected to boost the province's power supply by eight per cent, generating about 5,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year.

A statement from the Energy Ministry says electricity demand in B.C. is expected to increase by at least 15 per cent by 2030 due to population growth, housing construction, transportation and the shift away from fossil fuels.

Dix says he expects to see BC Hydro issue more calls for power, and the province is working to speed up the permitting process for renewable energy projects.

"We have a growing and dynamic economy. We need this energy," he says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Barefoot hiker rescued after spending two cold nights in B.C.'s North Shore mountains

Barefoot hiker rescued after spending two cold nights in B.C.'s North Shore mountains
An ill-prepared hiker has been pulled out of British Columbia’s North Shore mountains after losing his shoes and all charge on his mobile phone. Allan McMordie of North Shore Rescue says the man was barefoot, in shorts, soaking wet and cramped up after spending two nights in the wilderness.

Barefoot hiker rescued after spending two cold nights in B.C.'s North Shore mountains

B.C. Review Board lets child killer Schoenborn keep eligibility for 28-day leave

B.C. Review Board lets child killer Schoenborn keep eligibility for 28-day leave
In a decision posted online by Dave Teixeira, a spokesman for the children's relatives, the board says Schoenborn must not possess weapons, use alcohol or non-approved drugs or have contact with the relatives.

B.C. Review Board lets child killer Schoenborn keep eligibility for 28-day leave

B.C. finishes merging health-profession colleges in plan for better oversight

B.C. finishes merging health-profession colleges in plan for better oversight
British Columbia's government has amalgamated 11 health-professional colleges into two, setting the foundation for what it says is stronger oversight. Health Minister Adrian Dix says merging the colleges is part of the government's plan to ensure health professionals are regulated more consistently and robustly. 

B.C. finishes merging health-profession colleges in plan for better oversight

Murder charge in death of Tori Dunn

Murder charge in death of Tori Dunn
R-C-M-P homicide investigators say a man with a long criminal history has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of 30-year-old Tori Dunn in Surrey. Dunn died from injuries she sustained in what her father has described as a violent home invasion in the Port Kells neighbourhood on June 16th.

Murder charge in death of Tori Dunn

Poilievre's office silent on leader's Pride plans, other party chiefs look to attend

Poilievre's office silent on leader's Pride plans, other party chiefs look to attend
Pierre Poilievre is the only federal leader whose staff would not answer questions about whether their chief intends to participate in Pride events this summer. Instead, his office is pointing to Melissa Lantsman, the party's deputy leader, who attended a Pride flag-raising ceremony on Parliament Hill earlier this month.

Poilievre's office silent on leader's Pride plans, other party chiefs look to attend

Military was following 'legal orders' to try to rescue Afghan Sikhs, Gen. Eyre says

Military was following 'legal orders' to try to rescue Afghan Sikhs, Gen. Eyre says
The Canadian Armed Forces was following "legal orders" when it tried to rescue a group of Afghan Sikhs during the fall of Kabul three years ago, Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Wayne Eyre said. Eyre's comment came as former defence minister Harjit Sajjan explained his decision to intervene on behalf of a group of around 200 Afghan Sikhs who were trapped along with thousands of others in August 2021.

Military was following 'legal orders' to try to rescue Afghan Sikhs, Gen. Eyre says