Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:48 PM
  • U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

British Columbia Energy Minister Adrian Dix says the looming threat of American tariffs raises the stakes for boosting the province's energy independence.

Dix says there was urgency before the U.S. election last November, but "there's more now" as American President Donald Trump threatens to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.

The minister was speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, where he announced the signing of an agreement between the Saulteau First Nations and BC Hydro to supply electricity from a 200-megawatt wind project in northeastern B.C.

Saulteau First Nations holds a 51 per cent economic interest in the Taylor Wind project, which is expected to produce enough electricity to power about 60,000 homes.

Taylor Wind is one of 10 clean-energy projects selected to advance from BC Hydro's call for power last year, and Dix says it's a "good step" on B.C.'s quest to become a world leader in renewables, while strengthening the province's energy security.

But former B.C. environment minister Barry Penner, who's now the chair for the Energy Futures Institute, says the province faces a significant gap between its current capacity and the electricity that will be needed to meet clean energy targets and demand from population growth.

"I didn't anticipate Donald Trump threatening tariffs, but I've been saying for more than a year now, it's a risky proposition to be dependent on your neighbour to bail you out when you have an electricity crunch," says Penner, adding utilities south of the border are facing their own challenges.

B.C. has been a net importer of electricity over the last two years, he notes, with the purchase of about 20 per cent of its power from Alberta in 2023 and 2024.

"That works out to about two Site C dams worth of electricity … in both of those years," says Penner, referring to the mega-dam under construction in northeastern B.C.

A prolonged drought in the province has added to the challenge, he says, forcing BC Hydro to hold water back in its dams to ensure there's enough electricity during times of peak demand.

Site C is expected to add about eight per cent more supply to B.C.'s electricity grid, though just as it's coming online, Penner says older dams are being taken out of service for maintenance and repair work.

The 10 wind projects first announced last December are also expected to boost the province's power supply by eight per cent, generating about 5,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year.

A statement from the Energy Ministry says electricity demand in B.C. is expected to increase by at least 15 per cent by 2030 due to population growth, housing construction, transportation and the shift away from fossil fuels.

Dix says he expects to see BC Hydro issue more calls for power, and the province is working to speed up the permitting process for renewable energy projects.

"We have a growing and dynamic economy. We need this energy," he says.

MORE National ARTICLES

101 drownings last year in BC

101 drownings last year in BC
New statistics from the B-C Coroners Service say 101 people accidentally drowned in the province last year, many of them in the summer months.  Acting chief coroner John McNamee says their report looked at a decade of drownings, and May through August were the most fatal months. 

101 drownings last year in BC

Stolen merchandise found in Maple Ridge

Stolen merchandise found in Maple Ridge
Mounties in Surrey say the search of a home in Maple Ridge turned up stolen merchandise with a total estimated value topping 43-thousand dollars. Police say they arrested a woman who was using Facebook Marketplace to advertise and sell the stolen goods, ranging from designer clothing and accessories to sportswear by popular brands.

Stolen merchandise found in Maple Ridge

Green MLA Olsen not running in fall B.C. election, cites mental and physical health

Green MLA Olsen not running in fall B.C. election, cites mental and physical health
One of the two Green Party members in British Columbia's Legislature has announced he will not seek re-election in this fall's provincial vote. Adam Olsen, who represents Saanich North and the Islands, says in a statement that he is stepping down because "it's the responsible and ethical thing" to do when he cannot "commit fully to the job for the next four years."

Green MLA Olsen not running in fall B.C. election, cites mental and physical health

Calgarians may see full water service restored earlier than expected: mayor

Calgarians may see full water service restored earlier than expected: mayor
Calgary's weeks-long water crisis, which has prompted civic officials to ask residents to cut back on showers and other activities, may end a little sooner than expected. Underground repairs to a water main that broke June 5 are now complete, Mayor Jyoti Gondek said Tuesday, and service could be restored earlier than the July 5 target date if things go well over the coming days.

Calgarians may see full water service restored earlier than expected: mayor

Liberal government's proposed capital gains tax changes come into effect today

Liberal government's proposed capital gains tax changes come into effect today
The Liberal government's changes to capital gains taxation came into effect Tuesday, despite significant pushback from business and physicians' groups. Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland's spring budget proposed making two-thirds of capital gains — the profit made on the sale of assets such as a secondary residence or stocks — taxable, rather than one-half.

Liberal government's proposed capital gains tax changes come into effect today

Ottawa urges Canadians to leave Lebanon while they can due to escalating violence

Ottawa urges Canadians to leave Lebanon while they can due to escalating violence
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly is urging Canadians to leave an increasingly volatile Lebanon while they can. In a statement today, Joly says the security situation could deteriorate further without warning due to sustained and escalating violence between Hezbollah and Israel.

Ottawa urges Canadians to leave Lebanon while they can due to escalating violence