Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:48 PM
  • U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

British Columbia Energy Minister Adrian Dix says the looming threat of American tariffs raises the stakes for boosting the province's energy independence.

Dix says there was urgency before the U.S. election last November, but "there's more now" as American President Donald Trump threatens to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.

The minister was speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, where he announced the signing of an agreement between the Saulteau First Nations and BC Hydro to supply electricity from a 200-megawatt wind project in northeastern B.C.

Saulteau First Nations holds a 51 per cent economic interest in the Taylor Wind project, which is expected to produce enough electricity to power about 60,000 homes.

Taylor Wind is one of 10 clean-energy projects selected to advance from BC Hydro's call for power last year, and Dix says it's a "good step" on B.C.'s quest to become a world leader in renewables, while strengthening the province's energy security.

But former B.C. environment minister Barry Penner, who's now the chair for the Energy Futures Institute, says the province faces a significant gap between its current capacity and the electricity that will be needed to meet clean energy targets and demand from population growth.

"I didn't anticipate Donald Trump threatening tariffs, but I've been saying for more than a year now, it's a risky proposition to be dependent on your neighbour to bail you out when you have an electricity crunch," says Penner, adding utilities south of the border are facing their own challenges.

B.C. has been a net importer of electricity over the last two years, he notes, with the purchase of about 20 per cent of its power from Alberta in 2023 and 2024.

"That works out to about two Site C dams worth of electricity … in both of those years," says Penner, referring to the mega-dam under construction in northeastern B.C.

A prolonged drought in the province has added to the challenge, he says, forcing BC Hydro to hold water back in its dams to ensure there's enough electricity during times of peak demand.

Site C is expected to add about eight per cent more supply to B.C.'s electricity grid, though just as it's coming online, Penner says older dams are being taken out of service for maintenance and repair work.

The 10 wind projects first announced last December are also expected to boost the province's power supply by eight per cent, generating about 5,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year.

A statement from the Energy Ministry says electricity demand in B.C. is expected to increase by at least 15 per cent by 2030 due to population growth, housing construction, transportation and the shift away from fossil fuels.

Dix says he expects to see BC Hydro issue more calls for power, and the province is working to speed up the permitting process for renewable energy projects.

"We have a growing and dynamic economy. We need this energy," he says.

MORE National ARTICLES

2 people dead in plane crash

2 people dead in plane crash
The RCMP says two people have died after a plane crash near Squamish on Friday. Police say they were able to access the remote area located south of Squamish on the west side of Howe Sound via air. 

2 people dead in plane crash

B.C. man charged with attempted murder after alleged knife attack: RCMP

B.C. man charged with attempted murder after alleged knife attack: RCMP
Police say a man has been charged with attempted murder and other offences after he allegedly used a knife to slash cars, then attacked a motorcyclist riding in North Vancouver, B.C., over the weekend. RCMP say they received several reports Saturday afternoon about a man with a knife near an intersection south of the Deep Cove neighbourhood.

B.C. man charged with attempted murder after alleged knife attack: RCMP

Board orders deportation for trucker who caused horrific Humboldt Broncos crash

Board orders deportation for trucker who caused horrific Humboldt Broncos crash
The truck driver who caused the horrific bus crash involving the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team was ordered Friday to be deported to India. An Immigration and Refugee Board hearing for Jaskirat Singh Sidhu announced its decision in a 15-minute virtual hearing.

Board orders deportation for trucker who caused horrific Humboldt Broncos crash

Canada 7th in foreign aid spending, but a fifth goes to refugees inside the country

Canada 7th in foreign aid spending, but a fifth goes to refugees inside the country
While Canada is one of the top contributors to foreign aid among some of the world's richest countries, a fifth of the spending never leaves Canada's borders. Some 19 per cent of Canada's aid reported to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development last year benefited refugees and Ukrainians within Canada.

Canada 7th in foreign aid spending, but a fifth goes to refugees inside the country

'Looking over our shoulders': A killing looms large in a little B.C. town

'Looking over our shoulders': A killing looms large in a little B.C. town
Something has shifted in the pretty little village of Lumby, B.C.  It's subtle, say residents of the community of 2,000 people, nestled in the hills of the North Okanagan in B.C.'s Interior.  

'Looking over our shoulders': A killing looms large in a little B.C. town

Missing kayaker found dead

Missing kayaker found dead
Mounties in Prince George say a kayaker reported missing on Monday is dead. They say the man's body was found yesterday after a search involving police officers, local search and rescue volunteers and an R-C-M-P helicopter.

Missing kayaker found dead