Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:48 PM
  • U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

British Columbia Energy Minister Adrian Dix says the looming threat of American tariffs raises the stakes for boosting the province's energy independence.

Dix says there was urgency before the U.S. election last November, but "there's more now" as American President Donald Trump threatens to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.

The minister was speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, where he announced the signing of an agreement between the Saulteau First Nations and BC Hydro to supply electricity from a 200-megawatt wind project in northeastern B.C.

Saulteau First Nations holds a 51 per cent economic interest in the Taylor Wind project, which is expected to produce enough electricity to power about 60,000 homes.

Taylor Wind is one of 10 clean-energy projects selected to advance from BC Hydro's call for power last year, and Dix says it's a "good step" on B.C.'s quest to become a world leader in renewables, while strengthening the province's energy security.

But former B.C. environment minister Barry Penner, who's now the chair for the Energy Futures Institute, says the province faces a significant gap between its current capacity and the electricity that will be needed to meet clean energy targets and demand from population growth.

"I didn't anticipate Donald Trump threatening tariffs, but I've been saying for more than a year now, it's a risky proposition to be dependent on your neighbour to bail you out when you have an electricity crunch," says Penner, adding utilities south of the border are facing their own challenges.

B.C. has been a net importer of electricity over the last two years, he notes, with the purchase of about 20 per cent of its power from Alberta in 2023 and 2024.

"That works out to about two Site C dams worth of electricity … in both of those years," says Penner, referring to the mega-dam under construction in northeastern B.C.

A prolonged drought in the province has added to the challenge, he says, forcing BC Hydro to hold water back in its dams to ensure there's enough electricity during times of peak demand.

Site C is expected to add about eight per cent more supply to B.C.'s electricity grid, though just as it's coming online, Penner says older dams are being taken out of service for maintenance and repair work.

The 10 wind projects first announced last December are also expected to boost the province's power supply by eight per cent, generating about 5,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year.

A statement from the Energy Ministry says electricity demand in B.C. is expected to increase by at least 15 per cent by 2030 due to population growth, housing construction, transportation and the shift away from fossil fuels.

Dix says he expects to see BC Hydro issue more calls for power, and the province is working to speed up the permitting process for renewable energy projects.

"We have a growing and dynamic economy. We need this energy," he says.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. mayor warns against videos of properties destroyed by fire outside Fort Nelson

B.C. mayor warns against videos of properties destroyed by fire outside Fort Nelson
Northern Rockies Regional Municipality Mayor Rob Fraser said it was "insensitive" and "unconscionable" that images of properties destroyed by the Parker Lake wildfire outside Fort Nelson had been shared before owners were told of the damage by authorities.

B.C. mayor warns against videos of properties destroyed by fire outside Fort Nelson

President tells Gaza protesters that University of B.C. must remain neutral

President tells Gaza protesters that University of B.C. must remain neutral
The president of the University of British Columbia has told pro-Palestinian protesters that the school must remain neutral on the Gaza conflict. Benoit-Antoine Bacon says in response to demands by the organizers of a protest encampment on the Vancouver campus that professors and students hold a broad range of opinions and the university can't "presume to speak for everyone."

President tells Gaza protesters that University of B.C. must remain neutral

B.C. man shoots grizzly bear in attack that left him with broken bones, cuts

B.C. man shoots grizzly bear in attack that left him with broken bones, cuts
A hunter in southeastern British Columbia managed to shoot a grizzly bear that attacked him on Thursday and left him with broken bones and cuts. RCMP in Elk Valley, near Fernie, say the 36-year-old man from nearby Sparwood was out with his father when he was attacked by an adult grizzly.

B.C. man shoots grizzly bear in attack that left him with broken bones, cuts

No jail time for ex security guard

No jail time for ex security guard
A former security guard at a university in Langley, B-C, who was convicted of manslaughter will not be going to prison. The B-C Supreme Court found the 55-year-old man guilty in the 2020 incident at Trinity Western University that resulted in the death of a 30-year-old.

No jail time for ex security guard

B.C. boaters ordered to remove drainage plugs to prevent spread of whirling disease

B.C. boaters ordered to remove drainage plugs to prevent spread of whirling disease
British Columbia's chief veterinarian has issued an order making it illegal to transport boats or other watercraft without removing the drain plug to prevent the spread of whirling disease. The Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship says the order takes effect on Friday and is also intended to keep invasive mussels out of B.C. waterways.

B.C. boaters ordered to remove drainage plugs to prevent spread of whirling disease

Mother, stepfather get 15 years for manslaughter in death of B.C. boy Dontay Lucas, 6

Mother, stepfather get 15 years for manslaughter in death of B.C. boy Dontay Lucas, 6
The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have been sentenced to 15 years each in prison by a B.C. Supreme Court judge. Mitchell Frank and Rykel Frank stood in shackles in a court in Port Alberni as they were sentenced for the death of the boy who was found in medical distress inside the home he shared with his mother in March 2018.   

Mother, stepfather get 15 years for manslaughter in death of B.C. boy Dontay Lucas, 6