Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:48 PM
  • U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

British Columbia Energy Minister Adrian Dix says the looming threat of American tariffs raises the stakes for boosting the province's energy independence.

Dix says there was urgency before the U.S. election last November, but "there's more now" as American President Donald Trump threatens to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.

The minister was speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, where he announced the signing of an agreement between the Saulteau First Nations and BC Hydro to supply electricity from a 200-megawatt wind project in northeastern B.C.

Saulteau First Nations holds a 51 per cent economic interest in the Taylor Wind project, which is expected to produce enough electricity to power about 60,000 homes.

Taylor Wind is one of 10 clean-energy projects selected to advance from BC Hydro's call for power last year, and Dix says it's a "good step" on B.C.'s quest to become a world leader in renewables, while strengthening the province's energy security.

But former B.C. environment minister Barry Penner, who's now the chair for the Energy Futures Institute, says the province faces a significant gap between its current capacity and the electricity that will be needed to meet clean energy targets and demand from population growth.

"I didn't anticipate Donald Trump threatening tariffs, but I've been saying for more than a year now, it's a risky proposition to be dependent on your neighbour to bail you out when you have an electricity crunch," says Penner, adding utilities south of the border are facing their own challenges.

B.C. has been a net importer of electricity over the last two years, he notes, with the purchase of about 20 per cent of its power from Alberta in 2023 and 2024.

"That works out to about two Site C dams worth of electricity … in both of those years," says Penner, referring to the mega-dam under construction in northeastern B.C.

A prolonged drought in the province has added to the challenge, he says, forcing BC Hydro to hold water back in its dams to ensure there's enough electricity during times of peak demand.

Site C is expected to add about eight per cent more supply to B.C.'s electricity grid, though just as it's coming online, Penner says older dams are being taken out of service for maintenance and repair work.

The 10 wind projects first announced last December are also expected to boost the province's power supply by eight per cent, generating about 5,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year.

A statement from the Energy Ministry says electricity demand in B.C. is expected to increase by at least 15 per cent by 2030 due to population growth, housing construction, transportation and the shift away from fossil fuels.

Dix says he expects to see BC Hydro issue more calls for power, and the province is working to speed up the permitting process for renewable energy projects.

"We have a growing and dynamic economy. We need this energy," he says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Fire officials worry wind could push wildfire into B.C. town today

Fire officials worry wind could push wildfire into B.C. town today
A fire behaviour specialist with the B.C. Wildfire Service says an intense wildfire could hit Fort Nelson this morning, based on forecasts that have been calling for strong winds. Ben Boghean said in a video posted to social media Sunday night that the extreme fire behaviour, made worse by years of drought and a below-normal snowpack this past winter, could end up threatening the crews that have been fighting the Parker Lake wildfire.

Fire officials worry wind could push wildfire into B.C. town today

Seven media experts selected to help modernize CBC/Radio-Canada before next election

Seven media experts selected to help modernize CBC/Radio-Canada before next election
Seven multimedia experts have been selected to advise Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge as she renews the role of Canada's public broadcaster. Canadian Heritage says the group will provide policy advice mainly on CBC/Radio-Canada's governance and funding.

Seven media experts selected to help modernize CBC/Radio-Canada before next election

Fatal collision in New Westminster

Fatal collision in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are investigating a single-vehicle crash that resulted in the death of the male driver. Police say the crash happened early Saturday, and two people were taken to hospital from the scene.

Fatal collision in New Westminster

Fatal weekend altercation in Penticton

Fatal weekend altercation in Penticton
Mounties say what appears to be a targeted altercation in Penticton over the weekend has left one person dead. Police say officers responded to the altercation on Lakeshore Drive involving several people on Sunday morning.

Fatal weekend altercation in Penticton

B.C. finance minister Conroy says she'll retire after provincial election this fall

B.C. finance minister Conroy says she'll retire after provincial election this fall
British Columbia's finance minister has announced she won't be running again in the next provincial election after serving in the legislature for nearly two decades. Katrine Conroy said it will be hard to leave the people she's worked with over the years, but at 66, it's time to step back to spend time with her family.

B.C. finance minister Conroy says she'll retire after provincial election this fall

Mayor says Ottawa will reverse course on Israel national day event after cancellation

Mayor says Ottawa will reverse course on Israel national day event after cancellation
Ottawa Mayor Mark Sutcliffe says he wants the city to reverse course after cancelling an event to mark Israel's national day.

Mayor says Ottawa will reverse course on Israel national day event after cancellation