Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:48 PM
  • U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

British Columbia Energy Minister Adrian Dix says the looming threat of American tariffs raises the stakes for boosting the province's energy independence.

Dix says there was urgency before the U.S. election last November, but "there's more now" as American President Donald Trump threatens to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.

The minister was speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, where he announced the signing of an agreement between the Saulteau First Nations and BC Hydro to supply electricity from a 200-megawatt wind project in northeastern B.C.

Saulteau First Nations holds a 51 per cent economic interest in the Taylor Wind project, which is expected to produce enough electricity to power about 60,000 homes.

Taylor Wind is one of 10 clean-energy projects selected to advance from BC Hydro's call for power last year, and Dix says it's a "good step" on B.C.'s quest to become a world leader in renewables, while strengthening the province's energy security.

But former B.C. environment minister Barry Penner, who's now the chair for the Energy Futures Institute, says the province faces a significant gap between its current capacity and the electricity that will be needed to meet clean energy targets and demand from population growth.

"I didn't anticipate Donald Trump threatening tariffs, but I've been saying for more than a year now, it's a risky proposition to be dependent on your neighbour to bail you out when you have an electricity crunch," says Penner, adding utilities south of the border are facing their own challenges.

B.C. has been a net importer of electricity over the last two years, he notes, with the purchase of about 20 per cent of its power from Alberta in 2023 and 2024.

"That works out to about two Site C dams worth of electricity … in both of those years," says Penner, referring to the mega-dam under construction in northeastern B.C.

A prolonged drought in the province has added to the challenge, he says, forcing BC Hydro to hold water back in its dams to ensure there's enough electricity during times of peak demand.

Site C is expected to add about eight per cent more supply to B.C.'s electricity grid, though just as it's coming online, Penner says older dams are being taken out of service for maintenance and repair work.

The 10 wind projects first announced last December are also expected to boost the province's power supply by eight per cent, generating about 5,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year.

A statement from the Energy Ministry says electricity demand in B.C. is expected to increase by at least 15 per cent by 2030 due to population growth, housing construction, transportation and the shift away from fossil fuels.

Dix says he expects to see BC Hydro issue more calls for power, and the province is working to speed up the permitting process for renewable energy projects.

"We have a growing and dynamic economy. We need this energy," he says.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. tables anti-racism legislation

B.C. tables anti-racism legislation
The British Columbia government tabled legislation Thursday that's designed to hold public bodies accountable for addressing systemic racism in policy and programs, the province's attorney general said. Niki Sharma said the proposed law would cover provincial ministries, agencies, health-care and social service providers, and require the development of a public action plan using data the government has collected on systemic racism.

B.C. tables anti-racism legislation

B.C. judge rejects bid to throw out Ibrahim Ali's conviction for teen girl's murder

B.C. judge rejects bid to throw out Ibrahim Ali's conviction for teen girl's murder
A British Columbia Supreme Court judge has rejected an application to throw out the conviction of Ibrahim Ali for the murder of a 13-year-old in Burnaby, B.C., over what his lawyers say were unreasonable delays in the trial process. Justice Lance Bernard made the ruling Thursday, with reasons to follow, moments after defence lawyer Kevin McCullough made his final reply in the application that could have seen Ali go free.

B.C. judge rejects bid to throw out Ibrahim Ali's conviction for teen girl's murder

B.C. moves to accelerate process for thousands needing a family doctor

B.C. moves to accelerate process for thousands needing a family doctor
The British Columbia government is bringing in new digital tools to help hundreds of thousands of residents who need a family doctor find one faster and easier.  While nearly 410,000 people have been connected to a physician since 2018, there are another 310,000 who remain on the Health Connect Registry, and Health Minister Adrian Dix says they now have a plan to accelerate the patient-doctor matching process. 

B.C. moves to accelerate process for thousands needing a family doctor

Two dead in northern B.C. First Nation, suspect hurt after standoff with police

Two dead in northern B.C. First Nation, suspect hurt after standoff with police
Two people are dead after a reported shooting in a northern B.C. First Nation. Mounties in the community of Tsay Keh Dene, roughly 360 kilometres north of Prince George, responded to a call late Tuesday about shots fired in a residence and injuries to multiple people.

Two dead in northern B.C. First Nation, suspect hurt after standoff with police

B.C.'s safer supply studied

B.C.'s safer supply studied
Peer-reviewed research is emerging about the possible impacts of British Columbia's safer supply program, which provides prescription alternatives to toxic illicit drugs, with two studies in international medical journals casting the strategy in a different light. 

B.C.'s safer supply studied

Canada to allow 30-year amortization for first-time buyers' mortgages on new homes

Canada to allow 30-year amortization for first-time buyers' mortgages on new homes
The Canadian government will allow 30-year amortization periods on insured mortgages for first-time homebuyers purchasing newly built homes. Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland made the announcement in Toronto today, saying it would take effect Aug. 1. 

Canada to allow 30-year amortization for first-time buyers' mortgages on new homes