Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:48 PM
  • U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

British Columbia Energy Minister Adrian Dix says the looming threat of American tariffs raises the stakes for boosting the province's energy independence.

Dix says there was urgency before the U.S. election last November, but "there's more now" as American President Donald Trump threatens to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.

The minister was speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, where he announced the signing of an agreement between the Saulteau First Nations and BC Hydro to supply electricity from a 200-megawatt wind project in northeastern B.C.

Saulteau First Nations holds a 51 per cent economic interest in the Taylor Wind project, which is expected to produce enough electricity to power about 60,000 homes.

Taylor Wind is one of 10 clean-energy projects selected to advance from BC Hydro's call for power last year, and Dix says it's a "good step" on B.C.'s quest to become a world leader in renewables, while strengthening the province's energy security.

But former B.C. environment minister Barry Penner, who's now the chair for the Energy Futures Institute, says the province faces a significant gap between its current capacity and the electricity that will be needed to meet clean energy targets and demand from population growth.

"I didn't anticipate Donald Trump threatening tariffs, but I've been saying for more than a year now, it's a risky proposition to be dependent on your neighbour to bail you out when you have an electricity crunch," says Penner, adding utilities south of the border are facing their own challenges.

B.C. has been a net importer of electricity over the last two years, he notes, with the purchase of about 20 per cent of its power from Alberta in 2023 and 2024.

"That works out to about two Site C dams worth of electricity … in both of those years," says Penner, referring to the mega-dam under construction in northeastern B.C.

A prolonged drought in the province has added to the challenge, he says, forcing BC Hydro to hold water back in its dams to ensure there's enough electricity during times of peak demand.

Site C is expected to add about eight per cent more supply to B.C.'s electricity grid, though just as it's coming online, Penner says older dams are being taken out of service for maintenance and repair work.

The 10 wind projects first announced last December are also expected to boost the province's power supply by eight per cent, generating about 5,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year.

A statement from the Energy Ministry says electricity demand in B.C. is expected to increase by at least 15 per cent by 2030 due to population growth, housing construction, transportation and the shift away from fossil fuels.

Dix says he expects to see BC Hydro issue more calls for power, and the province is working to speed up the permitting process for renewable energy projects.

"We have a growing and dynamic economy. We need this energy," he says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Calgary mayor wants wide survey of water lines after catastrophic break

Calgary mayor wants wide survey of water lines after catastrophic break
Calgary's mayor is promising a wide-ranging examination of the city's underground infrastructure after a catastrophic water main break that has forced more than two weeks of use restrictions. Jyoti Gondek says she will be asking council to ensure it has the budget to provide a clear picture of all the city's water system.

Calgary mayor wants wide survey of water lines after catastrophic break

Large, smoky fire extinguished in Metro Vancouver, air quality bulletin to be lifted

Large, smoky fire extinguished in Metro Vancouver, air quality bulletin to be lifted
The Metro Vancouver Regional District says a fire at a trestle bridge in Richmond, B.C., has been extinguished after sending up huge plumes of smoke that prompted an air quality bulletin for the region. The district says in an update on the social media platform X that air quality has now improved and it will issue an update to end the bulletin.

Large, smoky fire extinguished in Metro Vancouver, air quality bulletin to be lifted

Calgary mayor sticks to Stampede opening day for possible main water fix

Calgary mayor sticks to Stampede opening day for possible main water fix
Calgary's mayor is sticking to opening day of the Stampede as a best-case scenario for the full resumption of water services in the city. But Jyoti Gondek warns that unforeseen problems could delay repairs to a catastrophic water main break that has forced citywide use restrictions for more than two weeks

Calgary mayor sticks to Stampede opening day for possible main water fix

Liberals plan talks to launch school food program before end of next school year

Liberals plan talks to launch school food program before end of next school year
Families Minister Jenna Sudds says the government hopes to see kids getting meals from the national school food program before the end of the next school year, but it will take time for organizations to scale up their operations.  The Liberals set aside $1 billion over five years for the program, which they promised during the 2021 election campaign.

Liberals plan talks to launch school food program before end of next school year

'Senseless violence': Woman killed in Surrey home invasion, father says

'Senseless violence': Woman killed in Surrey home invasion, father says
The father of a homicide victim in Surrey says she was killed in a home invasion on the weekend. The Integrated Homicide Investigation team says 30-year-old Tori Dunn died after being found with life-threatening injuries at a home in the Port Kells area of Surrey late Sunday night.

'Senseless violence': Woman killed in Surrey home invasion, father says

Man charged in assault

Man charged in assault
Surrey police say a 41-year-old man has been charged with aggravated assault in connection to a stabbing last month. R-C-M-P say a woman was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries on May 26th.

Man charged in assault