Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:48 PM
  • U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

British Columbia Energy Minister Adrian Dix says the looming threat of American tariffs raises the stakes for boosting the province's energy independence.

Dix says there was urgency before the U.S. election last November, but "there's more now" as American President Donald Trump threatens to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.

The minister was speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, where he announced the signing of an agreement between the Saulteau First Nations and BC Hydro to supply electricity from a 200-megawatt wind project in northeastern B.C.

Saulteau First Nations holds a 51 per cent economic interest in the Taylor Wind project, which is expected to produce enough electricity to power about 60,000 homes.

Taylor Wind is one of 10 clean-energy projects selected to advance from BC Hydro's call for power last year, and Dix says it's a "good step" on B.C.'s quest to become a world leader in renewables, while strengthening the province's energy security.

But former B.C. environment minister Barry Penner, who's now the chair for the Energy Futures Institute, says the province faces a significant gap between its current capacity and the electricity that will be needed to meet clean energy targets and demand from population growth.

"I didn't anticipate Donald Trump threatening tariffs, but I've been saying for more than a year now, it's a risky proposition to be dependent on your neighbour to bail you out when you have an electricity crunch," says Penner, adding utilities south of the border are facing their own challenges.

B.C. has been a net importer of electricity over the last two years, he notes, with the purchase of about 20 per cent of its power from Alberta in 2023 and 2024.

"That works out to about two Site C dams worth of electricity … in both of those years," says Penner, referring to the mega-dam under construction in northeastern B.C.

A prolonged drought in the province has added to the challenge, he says, forcing BC Hydro to hold water back in its dams to ensure there's enough electricity during times of peak demand.

Site C is expected to add about eight per cent more supply to B.C.'s electricity grid, though just as it's coming online, Penner says older dams are being taken out of service for maintenance and repair work.

The 10 wind projects first announced last December are also expected to boost the province's power supply by eight per cent, generating about 5,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year.

A statement from the Energy Ministry says electricity demand in B.C. is expected to increase by at least 15 per cent by 2030 due to population growth, housing construction, transportation and the shift away from fossil fuels.

Dix says he expects to see BC Hydro issue more calls for power, and the province is working to speed up the permitting process for renewable energy projects.

"We have a growing and dynamic economy. We need this energy," he says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Abbotsford man dies during boating

Abbotsford man dies during boating
An Abbotsford man has been found dead after going missing while rowing on the Sumas River earlier this week. Police say the 65-year-old rower was found by dive teams this weekend in the area where he was last seen.

Abbotsford man dies during boating

Police in Surrey arrest four just hours after shooting death

Police in Surrey arrest four just hours after shooting death
Police have announced the arrests of four suspects just hours after a man was shot dead in Surrey.  The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says quick co-ordination between Surrey RCMP, Air 1 and the Lower Mainland's emergency response team led to the arrests. 

Police in Surrey arrest four just hours after shooting death

Unknown object hits windshield, driver critical

Unknown object hits windshield, driver critical
Police in Burnaby say a driver is in critical condition in hospital after being struck by an object that crashed through their windshield along Highway 1. R-C-M-P say it happened just before noon yesterday and Highway Patrol officers were searching for the unknown object that seriously injured the driver.

Unknown object hits windshield, driver critical

Two killed in sports car crash at private B.C. racetrack: RCMP

Two killed in sports car crash at private B.C. racetrack: RCMP
Police say two people died when a sports car crashed at a luxury private motorsports club in Oliver, B.C. A statement from the RCMP says the driver of a sports car participating in a private event Wednesday at the Area 27 Motorsports Park failed to navigate a turn and hit a cement barrier at high speed.

Two killed in sports car crash at private B.C. racetrack: RCMP

Liberal government launches $1.5B program to build more co-op housing

Liberal government launches $1.5B program to build more co-op housing
Housing Minister Sean Fraser announced the launch of a $1.5-billion co-operative housing development program that the federal government promised in its 2022 budget. Fraser was in Winnipeg on Thursday to announce the program, which Liberals touted as the largest federal investment in co-op housing in 30 years.

Liberal government launches $1.5B program to build more co-op housing

Good Earth light bars recalled due to fire, burn hazards

Good Earth light bars recalled due to fire, burn hazards
Health Canada and Good Earth Lighting are recalling some rechargeable LED motion-activated light bars because they pose a fire and burn hazard. The affected light bars are 12 inches long and were sold between October 2017 and January 2024.

Good Earth light bars recalled due to fire, burn hazards