Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:48 PM
  • U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

British Columbia Energy Minister Adrian Dix says the looming threat of American tariffs raises the stakes for boosting the province's energy independence.

Dix says there was urgency before the U.S. election last November, but "there's more now" as American President Donald Trump threatens to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.

The minister was speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, where he announced the signing of an agreement between the Saulteau First Nations and BC Hydro to supply electricity from a 200-megawatt wind project in northeastern B.C.

Saulteau First Nations holds a 51 per cent economic interest in the Taylor Wind project, which is expected to produce enough electricity to power about 60,000 homes.

Taylor Wind is one of 10 clean-energy projects selected to advance from BC Hydro's call for power last year, and Dix says it's a "good step" on B.C.'s quest to become a world leader in renewables, while strengthening the province's energy security.

But former B.C. environment minister Barry Penner, who's now the chair for the Energy Futures Institute, says the province faces a significant gap between its current capacity and the electricity that will be needed to meet clean energy targets and demand from population growth.

"I didn't anticipate Donald Trump threatening tariffs, but I've been saying for more than a year now, it's a risky proposition to be dependent on your neighbour to bail you out when you have an electricity crunch," says Penner, adding utilities south of the border are facing their own challenges.

B.C. has been a net importer of electricity over the last two years, he notes, with the purchase of about 20 per cent of its power from Alberta in 2023 and 2024.

"That works out to about two Site C dams worth of electricity … in both of those years," says Penner, referring to the mega-dam under construction in northeastern B.C.

A prolonged drought in the province has added to the challenge, he says, forcing BC Hydro to hold water back in its dams to ensure there's enough electricity during times of peak demand.

Site C is expected to add about eight per cent more supply to B.C.'s electricity grid, though just as it's coming online, Penner says older dams are being taken out of service for maintenance and repair work.

The 10 wind projects first announced last December are also expected to boost the province's power supply by eight per cent, generating about 5,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year.

A statement from the Energy Ministry says electricity demand in B.C. is expected to increase by at least 15 per cent by 2030 due to population growth, housing construction, transportation and the shift away from fossil fuels.

Dix says he expects to see BC Hydro issue more calls for power, and the province is working to speed up the permitting process for renewable energy projects.

"We have a growing and dynamic economy. We need this energy," he says.

MORE National ARTICLES

PM, senior security officials slated to return to foreign interference inquiry

PM, senior security officials slated to return to foreign interference inquiry
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and members of his inner circle are slated to return to a federal inquiry into foreign interference in coming weeks. A newly published provisional witness list for the next phase of the inquiry's public work indicates senior government bureaucrats and members of national security agencies will also testify.

PM, senior security officials slated to return to foreign interference inquiry

Top adviser says Singh not anxious to launch election, Conservatives issue challenge

Top adviser says Singh not anxious to launch election, Conservatives issue challenge
Jagmeet Singh's top adviser says the NDP leader is not particularly eager to trigger an election, even as the Conservatives challenge him to do just that. Anne McGrath, Singh's principal secretary, says there will be more volatility in Parliament and the odds of an early election have risen.

Top adviser says Singh not anxious to launch election, Conservatives issue challenge

Most of Canada is predicted to have a warmer-than-normal fall: The Weather Network

Most of Canada is predicted to have a warmer-than-normal fall: The Weather Network
Don't put away your summer wardrobe just yet – The Weather Network says most Canadians are in for a warm fall. The network predicts that the majority of Canadians will see a slow transition into autumn as temperatures in most regions are expected to be above normal in the coming weeks. 

Most of Canada is predicted to have a warmer-than-normal fall: The Weather Network

Trudeau says he 'can't wait' to get into it with Poilievre in Parliament

Trudeau says he 'can't wait' to get into it with Poilievre in Parliament
The three-day Liberal caucus retreat in Nanaimo, B.C., was the first chance for Trudeau to address his MPs as a group since they lost a long-held Liberal riding in Toronto to the Conservatives. The loss led to a fractious summer, and the focus of the gathering has been to reunite the party and turn their focus to the Tories.

Trudeau says he 'can't wait' to get into it with Poilievre in Parliament

Robbery at a BC liquor store

Robbery at a BC liquor store
Prince George R-C-M-P say a man has been taken into custody after robbing a liquor store.  R-C-M-P say officers received two reports about a man who seemed to be carrying a firearm showed up on Weisbrod Road close to the Hart Highway and the second report came in suggesting the man robbed a nearby liquor store. 

Robbery at a BC liquor store

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster
A British Columbia Supreme Court judge has declared a mistrial in the case of Kane Carter, who was accused of murdering a gang member and an innocent teenager who was passing by in his parents' vehicle. The jury came back Tuesday saying it was deadlocked after five days of deliberations in Carter's trial.

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster