Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:48 PM
  • U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

British Columbia Energy Minister Adrian Dix says the looming threat of American tariffs raises the stakes for boosting the province's energy independence.

Dix says there was urgency before the U.S. election last November, but "there's more now" as American President Donald Trump threatens to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.

The minister was speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, where he announced the signing of an agreement between the Saulteau First Nations and BC Hydro to supply electricity from a 200-megawatt wind project in northeastern B.C.

Saulteau First Nations holds a 51 per cent economic interest in the Taylor Wind project, which is expected to produce enough electricity to power about 60,000 homes.

Taylor Wind is one of 10 clean-energy projects selected to advance from BC Hydro's call for power last year, and Dix says it's a "good step" on B.C.'s quest to become a world leader in renewables, while strengthening the province's energy security.

But former B.C. environment minister Barry Penner, who's now the chair for the Energy Futures Institute, says the province faces a significant gap between its current capacity and the electricity that will be needed to meet clean energy targets and demand from population growth.

"I didn't anticipate Donald Trump threatening tariffs, but I've been saying for more than a year now, it's a risky proposition to be dependent on your neighbour to bail you out when you have an electricity crunch," says Penner, adding utilities south of the border are facing their own challenges.

B.C. has been a net importer of electricity over the last two years, he notes, with the purchase of about 20 per cent of its power from Alberta in 2023 and 2024.

"That works out to about two Site C dams worth of electricity … in both of those years," says Penner, referring to the mega-dam under construction in northeastern B.C.

A prolonged drought in the province has added to the challenge, he says, forcing BC Hydro to hold water back in its dams to ensure there's enough electricity during times of peak demand.

Site C is expected to add about eight per cent more supply to B.C.'s electricity grid, though just as it's coming online, Penner says older dams are being taken out of service for maintenance and repair work.

The 10 wind projects first announced last December are also expected to boost the province's power supply by eight per cent, generating about 5,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year.

A statement from the Energy Ministry says electricity demand in B.C. is expected to increase by at least 15 per cent by 2030 due to population growth, housing construction, transportation and the shift away from fossil fuels.

Dix says he expects to see BC Hydro issue more calls for power, and the province is working to speed up the permitting process for renewable energy projects.

"We have a growing and dynamic economy. We need this energy," he says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa says U.S. move to tighten border rules for asylum seekers in line with law

Ottawa says U.S. move to tighten border rules for asylum seekers in line with law
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada spokesperson Matthew Krupovich said the changes "do not impact the terms of the (agreement) nor the criteria for an exemption or exception under the agreement."

Ottawa says U.S. move to tighten border rules for asylum seekers in line with law

2 people injured in rock climbing incident

2 people injured in rock climbing incident
B-C Emergency Health Services say two people were taken to hospital by helicopter from a rock climbing area in Squamish yesterday.  Brain Twaites, public information officer with the B-C E-H-S says the agency received a call before 1 p.m. about people in need of medical assistance in the Squamish region. 

2 people injured in rock climbing incident

Man dies in Whalley

Man dies in Whalley
Surrey R-C-M-P are asking witnesses to contact them after a man died in the Whalley neighbourhood Wednesday night.  The R-C-M-P says officers received a call from B-C Emergency Health Services at 6:40 p.m. on Wednesday and they located an unresponsive man who had fallen while lleaving a transit bus.

Man dies in Whalley

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late
The total cost of building the Surrey-Langley SkyTrain extension in Metro Vancouver has soared by $2 billion and the project has been delayed for a year. The Transportation Ministry says in a statement the budget of the 16-kilometre extension of the SkyTrain into Langley is now estimated at $5.996 billion, up from the original $4 billion projected. 

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown
Officials say they'll never know the cause of a massive fire earlier this summer that started a warehouse and then burned a wooden trestle in Metro Vancouver. The fire sent black smoke billowing across the region, prompting an air quality advisory and the temporary closure of a bridge between Vancouver and Richmond.

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs
The $18.4 million CBC/Radio-Canada awarded in bonuses to its employees this year is shocking, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said. He also said bonuses at the public broadcaster aren't justified because a government-owned corporation doesn't face competition like in the private sector. 

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs