Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Jan, 2025 04:48 PM
  • U.S. tariff threat adds urgency for B.C.'s energy independence: minister

British Columbia Energy Minister Adrian Dix says the looming threat of American tariffs raises the stakes for boosting the province's energy independence.

Dix says there was urgency before the U.S. election last November, but "there's more now" as American President Donald Trump threatens to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.

The minister was speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, where he announced the signing of an agreement between the Saulteau First Nations and BC Hydro to supply electricity from a 200-megawatt wind project in northeastern B.C.

Saulteau First Nations holds a 51 per cent economic interest in the Taylor Wind project, which is expected to produce enough electricity to power about 60,000 homes.

Taylor Wind is one of 10 clean-energy projects selected to advance from BC Hydro's call for power last year, and Dix says it's a "good step" on B.C.'s quest to become a world leader in renewables, while strengthening the province's energy security.

But former B.C. environment minister Barry Penner, who's now the chair for the Energy Futures Institute, says the province faces a significant gap between its current capacity and the electricity that will be needed to meet clean energy targets and demand from population growth.

"I didn't anticipate Donald Trump threatening tariffs, but I've been saying for more than a year now, it's a risky proposition to be dependent on your neighbour to bail you out when you have an electricity crunch," says Penner, adding utilities south of the border are facing their own challenges.

B.C. has been a net importer of electricity over the last two years, he notes, with the purchase of about 20 per cent of its power from Alberta in 2023 and 2024.

"That works out to about two Site C dams worth of electricity … in both of those years," says Penner, referring to the mega-dam under construction in northeastern B.C.

A prolonged drought in the province has added to the challenge, he says, forcing BC Hydro to hold water back in its dams to ensure there's enough electricity during times of peak demand.

Site C is expected to add about eight per cent more supply to B.C.'s electricity grid, though just as it's coming online, Penner says older dams are being taken out of service for maintenance and repair work.

The 10 wind projects first announced last December are also expected to boost the province's power supply by eight per cent, generating about 5,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year.

A statement from the Energy Ministry says electricity demand in B.C. is expected to increase by at least 15 per cent by 2030 due to population growth, housing construction, transportation and the shift away from fossil fuels.

Dix says he expects to see BC Hydro issue more calls for power, and the province is working to speed up the permitting process for renewable energy projects.

"We have a growing and dynamic economy. We need this energy," he says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Drug bust in Nanaimo

Drug bust in Nanaimo
Police in Nanaimo say a call from a member of the public has led to charges against a man and a woman accused of drug trafficking. R-C-M-P say they got the call on September 11th, leading to the arrests and seizure of a more than 500 grams of suspected methamphetamine, cocaine and fentanyl, as well as 430 prescription opioid pills and a loaded gun.

Drug bust in Nanaimo

Vancouver mayor promises more police to quell 'street disorder' in Gastown

Vancouver mayor promises more police to quell 'street disorder' in Gastown
Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim says the city is taking immediate steps to improve public safety in the Gastown neighbourhood. Sim says they’ll work with the Vancouver Police Department to establish a community policing centre in Gastown as residents and businesses there say they want increased visibility of officers.

Vancouver mayor promises more police to quell 'street disorder' in Gastown

Bitcoin extortion scam in Langley

Bitcoin extortion scam in Langley
Mounties in Langley are warning the public about an extortion scam, saying they have received 12 similar reports so far this month. R-C-M-P say the suspects claim to possess compromising images of victims and threaten to release them unless the victim sends money to a Bitcoin wallet.

Bitcoin extortion scam in Langley

Surrey man facing child pornography charges

Surrey man facing child pornography charges
A Surrey man is facing further child pornography charges after his initial arrest in June. R-C-M-P say the 41-year-old man has been in custody since then, and he's now been charged with additional offences including luring a child.

Surrey man facing child pornography charges

Four newsroom staff at Radio NL in Kamloops are cut in format change

Four newsroom staff at Radio NL in Kamloops are cut in format change
More than half of the newsroom at Radio NL in Kamloops, B.C., has been let go as the station moves to a music format.  The radio station has had a decades-long grip on news in the Interior and beyond, breaking stories and covering everything from emergencies to courts and city hall.  

Four newsroom staff at Radio NL in Kamloops are cut in format change

A look at B.C. health care promises ahead of Oct. 19 election day

A look at B.C. health care promises ahead of Oct. 19 election day
The state of British Columbia health care has become a key issue ahead of the provincial election on Oct. 19 as the overburdened system attempts to cope with understaffing, frequent short-term closures of emergency rooms and hundreds of thousands of residents who don't have a family doctor. Here are some of the health-related election promises from the three major parties:

A look at B.C. health care promises ahead of Oct. 19 election day