Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Sep, 2023 05:15 PM
  • Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year

Prosecutors in British Columbia have approved multiple charges against a Vancouver police officer a year after a pedestrian was hit by a police car in the city's Downtown Eastside.

Const. Jack Zhao has been charged with driving without due care and attention, failing to exercise due care to avoid colliding with a pedestrian, and speeding.

The province's prosecution service says the charges were approved by an experienced Crown counsel who has no connection with the officer.

Alleged video of the incident on Sept. 20, 2022, that was shared by the Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users, shows a person standing motionless in the middle of East Hastings Street. 

A black police cruiser appears to hit the man without swerving and he is thrown about 10 metres as the car skids to a halt.

At the time the provincial Independent Investigations Office said the man was taken to hospital with serious injuries.

Zhao's first appearance is scheduled for Sept. 28 in Vancouver provincial court.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Humboldt marks five years since deadly bus crash

Humboldt marks five years since deadly bus crash
Mayor Michael Behiel has proclaimed it “2017-18 Humboldt Broncos Day” and encouraged people to take a moment of silence as the bells echo around 4:50 p.m., the approximate time the crash occurred five years ago.

Humboldt marks five years since deadly bus crash

Vancouver seeks more space for displaced campers

Vancouver seeks more space for displaced campers
Mayor Ken Sim ordered the long-standing encampment removed after the city's police and fire chiefs warned of escalating crime and an unacceptable fire risk. At the camp's peak, about 180 structures covered the sidewalk along the busy street.

Vancouver seeks more space for displaced campers

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend
Drivers are reminded that the Pattullo Bridge between Surrey and New Westminster will be closed in both directions starting on Thursday, April 6, at 10 p.m. and reopening on Tuesday, April 11, at 5 a.m. Drivers should take the Port Mann or Alex Fraser bridges as alternate routes. 

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges
On March 3rd of last year police were contacted about allegations involving a man and a child victim whom the accused had initially met online, and later met in-person. On March 9th,  following an extensive investigation, 39-year-old Adam Joseph Woolacott of Burnaby was charged with various sexual offences. 

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee
The man, who had unfortunately lost money to a so-called grandparent scam last summer, received a phone call from a person claiming to work for Burnaby RCMP Victim Services who said she could help him recover the lost funds. The scammer verbally provided the legitimate Burnaby RCMP Victim Services phone number to the senior as a callback number.

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee

Former PM Brian Mulroney has prostate cancer

Former PM Brian Mulroney has prostate cancer
Mulroney, 84, was prime minister from 1984 to 1993, as leader of the Progressive Conservatives. While in office he negotiated the first free trade agreement with the U.S., which later became NAFTA.

Former PM Brian Mulroney has prostate cancer