Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Sep, 2023 05:15 PM
  • Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year

Prosecutors in British Columbia have approved multiple charges against a Vancouver police officer a year after a pedestrian was hit by a police car in the city's Downtown Eastside.

Const. Jack Zhao has been charged with driving without due care and attention, failing to exercise due care to avoid colliding with a pedestrian, and speeding.

The province's prosecution service says the charges were approved by an experienced Crown counsel who has no connection with the officer.

Alleged video of the incident on Sept. 20, 2022, that was shared by the Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users, shows a person standing motionless in the middle of East Hastings Street. 

A black police cruiser appears to hit the man without swerving and he is thrown about 10 metres as the car skids to a halt.

At the time the provincial Independent Investigations Office said the man was taken to hospital with serious injuries.

Zhao's first appearance is scheduled for Sept. 28 in Vancouver provincial court.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

BC Children's Hospital triages some patients

BC Children's Hospital triages some patients
Christy Hay, the hospital's executive director of clinical operations, says the department is mostly seeing viral illnesses including COVID-19 and an increasing number of influenza and respiratory syncytial virus cases, or RSV.

BC Children's Hospital triages some patients

Two dead, one hurt in Coquitlam, B.C., shooting

Two dead, one hurt in Coquitlam, B.C., shooting
One of those victims died at the scene and the statement says the second person died a short time later in hospital. The third victim was found nearby and is being treated in hospital for a non-life-threatening gunshot wound.

Two dead, one hurt in Coquitlam, B.C., shooting

Tamanawis Secondary School stabbing victim identified as Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey

Tamanawis Secondary School stabbing victim identified as Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey
Just after noon on Tuesday, a teenager died after being stabbed at Tamanawis Secondary School. The victim is being identified as 18-year old Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey. A 17-year old has been identified was located and taken into custody.

Tamanawis Secondary School stabbing victim identified as Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey

Vehicle involved in shooting fireworks at pedestrians

Vehicle involved in shooting fireworks at pedestrians
The victim and a friend were on 148 Street near the intersection of 104 Avenue and 148 Street when a small, white, 4-door hatchback (with a sunroof) drove slowly past them and an occupant of the vehicle fired a firework directly at the two pedestrians. The firework hit the victim’s forehead and minor injuries were sustained.

Vehicle involved in shooting fireworks at pedestrians

B.C. study looks at myocarditis risk of COVID shot

B.C. study looks at myocarditis risk of COVID shot
Lead author Dr. Naveed Janjua, an epidemiologist at the BC Centre for Disease Control, said the findings related to second doses for both vaccines show men between the ages of 18 and 29 are most at risk of myocarditis if they received Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine.

B.C. study looks at myocarditis risk of COVID shot

Compliance expert praises B.C. asset seizure plan

Compliance expert praises B.C. asset seizure plan
Premier David Eby said on Sunday that legislation to allow unexplained wealth orders would be introduced next spring. Such orders were recommended in June in the final report of a commission of inquiry into money laundering in B.C. by retired judge Austin Cullen

Compliance expert praises B.C. asset seizure plan