Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver Home Supply Up As Sales Drop Below Historical Average In October

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Nov, 2018 06:28 PM
    VANCOUER, B.C. — The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver says home supply is rising and reaching levels not seen in roughly four years, even as the average price inches up year-over-year.
     
     
    The board says the composite benchmark price for all homes was $1,062,100 in October — up one per cent since October 2017, but down 3.3 per cent over the last three months.
     
     
    Sales of all types of homes — detached, townhomes and condos — in October fell 34.9 per cent compared with the same month last year, dropping 26.8 per cent below the 10-year October sales average.
     
     
    Meanwhile, nearly 4,900 new properties were listed for sale last month, up 7.4 per cent compared with October last year.
     
     
    Nearly 13,000 homes are listed in Metro Vancouver or 42.1 per cent more than in October 2017.
     
     
    Board president Phil Moore says the additional supply gives home buyers more choice and home sellers more competition.
     
     
    Detached home sales fell 32.2 per cent in October compared with the same month last year, while the benchmark price fell to $1,524,000 marking a 5.1 per cent drop year-over-year and 3.9 per cent fall over the last three months.
     
     
    Sales of townhomes declined 37.5 per cent and condos fell 35.7 per cent year-over-year. The benchmark price for townhomes rose 4.4 per cent from last year to $829,200, while condo prices jumped 5.8 per cent to $683,500. Over the past three months, townhome prices fell 2.8 per cent and condo prices dropped 3.1.
     
     
    The three-month price drop "is providing a little relief for those looking to buy compared to the all-time highs we've experienced over the last year," says Moore.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Ottawa Man Jesse Mooney Charged With Assault With A Knife In Parliament Hill Security Incident

    Ottawa Man Jesse Mooney Charged With Assault With A Knife In Parliament Hill Security Incident
    On Sunday, July 22, at approximately 7:20am, Frontline officers responded to a call for service for an injured 32 year old male who was involved in an altercation with a male known to him.  

    Ottawa Man Jesse Mooney Charged With Assault With A Knife In Parliament Hill Security Incident

    Woman Dies After Becoming Trapped In Clothing Donation Bin In Vancouver

    Woman Dies After Becoming Trapped In Clothing Donation Bin In Vancouver
     A woman in her 30s has died after becoming stuck in the door of a clothing recycling bin on Vancouver's west side

    Woman Dies After Becoming Trapped In Clothing Donation Bin In Vancouver

    Toronto Shooting Suspect Identified As 29-Yr-Old Man FAISAL HUSSAIN

    Toronto Shooting Suspect Identified As 29-Yr-Old Man FAISAL HUSSAIN
    His family immigrated from Pakistan decades ago, and Hussain was one of four children. The family had been in Thorncliffe Park since around 2000, he said.

    Toronto Shooting Suspect Identified As 29-Yr-Old Man FAISAL HUSSAIN

    Man Arrested After Woman Found Dead Inside West Kelowna Hotel

    Man Arrested After Woman Found Dead Inside West Kelowna Hotel
    RCMP arrived at the hotel Sunday evening after being notified that a woman might need assistance and officers found the woman's body. 

    Man Arrested After Woman Found Dead Inside West Kelowna Hotel

    Halifax Shop’s 'Kinky Trump' Pride Week Doughnut Is A Mouthful

    Halifax Shop’s 'Kinky Trump' Pride Week Doughnut Is A Mouthful
    U.S. President Donald Trump — or at least a culinary version of him — may be rendered speechless after a Halifax-based doughnut shop released a new creation to celebrate Pride Week.

    Halifax Shop’s 'Kinky Trump' Pride Week Doughnut Is A Mouthful

    Man Extradited From South Korea To Face Trial For 2006 Slaying In Burnaby, B.C.

     A 12-year search has ended for British Columbia's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team with the capture and extradition of a man wanted for a January 2006 slaying in Burnaby.

    Man Extradited From South Korea To Face Trial For 2006 Slaying In Burnaby, B.C.