Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim vows to use 'all tools' to block overdose prevention site

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 May, 2026 04:23 PM
  • Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim vows to use 'all tools' to block overdose prevention site

Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim has vowed to block the opening of a planned overdose prevention site in the city's downtown, promising to "use all tools available" in trying to do so.

Sim, whose ABC party holds seven of the 11 seats in Vancouver's city council, said Tuesday that an urgent motion was to be moved during its meeting later that day that would direct staff to prevent the site from opening.

The mayor said such tools could include permitting, licensing, servicing and legal settlements.

“We have seen the disastrous impact when OPS sites are introduced without the right planning, oversight and accountability,” Sim said in a statement, adding that local businesses and residents share his concerns.

The backlash comes after Vancouver Coastal Health announced earlier in the day that it had secured 900 Helmcken St. as the new permanent location for its overdose prevention site for Vancouver's downtown.

The health authority said overdose prevention services had been limited to temporary service for months, after the previous site for the Thomus Donaghy Overdose Prevention Site closed on Jan. 31.

The new location is set to open soon after the lease term begins on June 1, and Vancouver Coastal Health said it will be operated by social services provider RainCity Housing.

"The location of an overdose prevention site is determined by public health data and demonstrated need for these life-saving services," the health authority said in a statement. 

"The local health area of Vancouver City Centre … records the second-highest rate of overdose deaths in the Vancouver Coastal Health region and the second-highest number of calls to B.C. Emergency Health Services."

The health authority pointed to an order issued by B.C.'s health minister in 2016, after the province declared a public health emergency, which directs regional health boards and B.C. Emergency Health Services to implement overdose prevention services in any place required.

Sim said local stakeholders have not been engaged properly in the health authority's decision, and many have expressed concerns about safety in areas surrounding such sites.

He also criticized the provincial government's handling of the toxic drug crisis, saying that the province and Vancouver Coastal Health should instead focus on "previous commitments regarding mandatory care."

"The status quo doesn’t work, and frankly, it’s never worked,” Sim said while calling the current provincial approach, which also includes safer supply, "disastrous."

"(Premier David Eby) committed to 400 mandatory care beds over a year and a half ago and yet, the city of Vancouver has seen zero beds. That’s completely unacceptable and irresponsible when we are in the middle of a crisis," Sim said.

Vancouver council last year approved Sim's plan to temporarily halt net new supportive housing projects in the city.

Vancouver Coastal Health has defended the sites, saying that overdose prevention is "evidence-based" and can reduce risks of death while also connecting people in need to treatment.

The health authority said previous city centre overdose prevention sites had seen more than 149,000 visits and responded to 480 overdoses since 2021.

"Since the site’s closure in January, a temporary mobile OPS has been operating to provide a very limited number of services in the area," Vancouver Coastal Health said.

"However, this interim solution is unable to appropriately meet the need, and the health authority has been looking for a suitable new location." 

A number of other locations had been considered, including on the St. Paul's Hospital campus, but Vancouver Coastal Health said that location did not have enough space, and the hospital is also moving out within a year.

The health authority said the new location offers outdoor spaces for observed inhalation of drugs, described as the most common method of consumption.

"The new (Thomus Donaghy Overdose Prevention Site) location provides a number of benefits, including its proximity to VCH’s Three Bridges Community Health Centre, which provides primary health care, mental health and treatment, and public health services, including outreach teams," the health authority said.

Sim said he will not support efforts that "fail both those who are struggling and the communities around them."

“Vancouver is ready to be part of real solutions that connect people to care, improve public safety and rebuild trust with communities,” he said. “Vancouverites deserve better."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

MORE National ARTICLES

The controversy over Canada's rules on military exports to Israel, explained

The controversy over Canada's rules on military exports to Israel, explained
"I'm horrified to hear this news about certain arms exports and parts going to Israel, directly or indirectly," Sen. Yuen Pau Woo said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

The controversy over Canada's rules on military exports to Israel, explained

Carney maintains positive approval rating despite summer cooldown: poll

Carney maintains positive approval rating despite summer cooldown: poll
The Carney-led Liberal government's approval rating dipped to 50 per cent in the firm's latest polling, down two percentage points compared to mid-July and the lowest level since March.

Carney maintains positive approval rating despite summer cooldown: poll

Man fatally shot by RCMP in Sask. happened after officers encountered group in woods

Man fatally shot by RCMP in Sask. happened after officers encountered group in woods
Police say in a news release that on Friday morning, two RCMP officers encountered five people in a wooded area near the community of Deschambault Lake.

Man fatally shot by RCMP in Sask. happened after officers encountered group in woods

Missing B.C. man survives several days in wilderness by slurping water from ponds

Missing B.C. man survives several days in wilderness by slurping water from ponds
McKinnon said a police helicopter coming from Prince George spotted the man in the afternoon of Aug. 8 in a remote area north of McLeese Lake — nine days after he was first reported missing to RCMP on July 31. 

Missing B.C. man survives several days in wilderness by slurping water from ponds

Smoke from Wesley Ridge fire on Vancouver Island could last for months

Smoke from Wesley Ridge fire on Vancouver Island could last for months
The warning appears in a video that BCWS posted to its Facebook page Sunday as part of a larger update on the Wesley Ridge wildfire.

Smoke from Wesley Ridge fire on Vancouver Island could last for months

Many public servants ran for federal office in the spring — only one of them made it

Many public servants ran for federal office in the spring — only one of them made it
Originally from Montreal, Desrochers worked at Global Affairs Canada for almost 25 years; her first posting was in Haiti. She later worked for about a decade on Canada-U.S. relations and was posted to New York during U.S. President Donald Trump's first mandate.

Many public servants ran for federal office in the spring — only one of them made it