Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jun, 2024 11:38 AM
  • Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

Police in Vancouver have released video showing a man who is believed to have set fire to the front entrance of a synagogue last month in the hope that someone may recognize the suspect. 

The security video shows a man wearing a dark jacket, light ball cap and a medical face mask approaching the front steps of the Schara Tzedeck synagogue on Vancouver's Oak Street on May 30 with a time stamp of 9:41 p.m. 

The man is carrying a clear bottle with liquid inside, and he unscrews the cap before disappearing from the frame. 

Less than a minute later, there is a bright flash and the video shows the man walking quickly down the synagogue stairs and onto the street.

A second video shows the front entrance from a different angle as orange flames spark and then flare up as the man walks away.

The police statement says investigators are looking to speak with anyone who might recognize the suspect in the video, as well as the driver of a beige or silver minivan that was seen in the area at the time of the fire.

Rabbi Andrew Rosenblatt has said people were inside the synagogue after services that same night, when they heard a "bang" outside.

But he said it was a passerby who alerted them that their building was on fire, before a member of the congregation put out the flames with his jacket.

MORE National ARTICLES

Burnaby man dies in home invasion

Burnaby man dies in home invasion
A woman was also found injured in the home, but police say her injuries aren't considered life threatening. Burnaby R-C-M-P say they were called at around seven this morning to a report of a home invasion. 

Burnaby man dies in home invasion

Canada invites 500 healthcare workers in its first category-based Express Entry draw

Canada invites 500 healthcare workers in its first category-based Express Entry draw
Canada has invited 500 healthcare workers to immigrate under its new category-based Express Entry selection draws with candidates requiring a minimum comprehensive ranking system (CRS) score of 476. Following this first category-based selection draw since six new categories were announced in May, a second round inviting 1,500 workers to apply will take place on July 5.

Canada invites 500 healthcare workers in its first category-based Express Entry draw

Canadian Chamber of Commerce wants B.C. port strike averted, cites economic impact

Canadian Chamber of Commerce wants B.C. port strike averted, cites economic impact
The Canadian Chamber of Commerce says it is "deeply disturbed" the British Columbia port workers' union has served strike notice and is prepared to walk out on Saturday. The chamber has issued a statement urging the federal government to "use all the tools in its tool box" to prevent a strike.

Canadian Chamber of Commerce wants B.C. port strike averted, cites economic impact

Lawyers ask Amsterdam court to reduce Canadian 13-year cyberbullying sentence to Dutch citizen

Lawyers ask Amsterdam court to reduce Canadian 13-year cyberbullying sentence to Dutch citizen
Aydin Coban was convicted last year of extortion, harassment and other crimes in a case involving Canadian teenager Amanda Todd who was blackmailed to expose herself in front of a webcam. The 15-year-old died by suicide after detailing her ordeal in a YouTube video watched by millions around the world.  

Lawyers ask Amsterdam court to reduce Canadian 13-year cyberbullying sentence to Dutch citizen

Emergency department reopens after man shot dead by police in B.C. hospital

Emergency department reopens after man shot dead by police in B.C. hospital
The Fraser Health authority says the emergency department at a Hope, B.C., hospital that was temporarily closed after a fatal police shooting has reopened. Police say the man received immediate medical attention but was pronounced dead at the scene.  

Emergency department reopens after man shot dead by police in B.C. hospital

U.S. Coast Guard says 'presumed human remains' found in Titan wreckage

U.S. Coast Guard says 'presumed human remains' found in Titan wreckage
Earlier in the day, debris from the ill-fated submersible was returned to shore in Newfoundland aboard a Canadian-flagged ship that had helped search for the vessel in a remote area of ocean near the wreck of the Titanic.

U.S. Coast Guard says 'presumed human remains' found in Titan wreckage