Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Jun, 2024 11:38 AM
  • Vancouver Police release video showing suspect in synagogue arson

Police in Vancouver have released video showing a man who is believed to have set fire to the front entrance of a synagogue last month in the hope that someone may recognize the suspect. 

The security video shows a man wearing a dark jacket, light ball cap and a medical face mask approaching the front steps of the Schara Tzedeck synagogue on Vancouver's Oak Street on May 30 with a time stamp of 9:41 p.m. 

The man is carrying a clear bottle with liquid inside, and he unscrews the cap before disappearing from the frame. 

Less than a minute later, there is a bright flash and the video shows the man walking quickly down the synagogue stairs and onto the street.

A second video shows the front entrance from a different angle as orange flames spark and then flare up as the man walks away.

The police statement says investigators are looking to speak with anyone who might recognize the suspect in the video, as well as the driver of a beige or silver minivan that was seen in the area at the time of the fire.

Rabbi Andrew Rosenblatt has said people were inside the synagogue after services that same night, when they heard a "bang" outside.

But he said it was a passerby who alerted them that their building was on fire, before a member of the congregation put out the flames with his jacket.

MORE National ARTICLES

Police ask Sikh community to share information regarding Surrey gurdwara shooting

Police ask Sikh community to share information regarding Surrey gurdwara shooting
Assistant Commissioner Brian Edwards called the killing "brazen" and "appalling," saying it was "disgusting" that the incident happened at a place of worship, with many other community members present at the time of the attack.

Police ask Sikh community to share information regarding Surrey gurdwara shooting

Province receives report from Surrey officials on policing

Province receives report from Surrey officials on policing
The B-C government recommended in April that Surrey continue the transition to an independent force and Farnworth set out requirements for safe and effective policing, which the city would need to follow in order to keep the Mounties.  

Province receives report from Surrey officials on policing

Man jumps on police car and smashes windshield: VPD

Man jumps on police car and smashes windshield: VPD
Vancouver police say a man jumped on a police car and smashed the windshield over the weekend before he tried to run away. Officers say yesterday's incident was unrelated to a traffic stop they were conducting at the time. 

Man jumps on police car and smashes windshield: VPD

Surrey RCMP head calling Surrey shooting a 'disgusting attack'

Surrey RCMP head calling Surrey shooting a 'disgusting attack'
R-C-M-P assistant commissioner Brian Edwards says anyone with knowledge of the murder should come forward as witnesses. Nijjar was accused of terrorism and conspiracy to murder in India, but there's no indication yet of a motive for the murder.

Surrey RCMP head calling Surrey shooting a 'disgusting attack'

Surrey, B.C., mayor accuses public safety minister of bullying, misogyny

Surrey, B.C., mayor accuses public safety minister of bullying, misogyny
Locke said Farnworth has been "a bully all the way through" the city council process that ultimately determined it would revert to the RCMP, well into the transition to an independent municipal force. A representative of Farnworth's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment about Locke's claims.  

Surrey, B.C., mayor accuses public safety minister of bullying, misogyny

New Nanaimo hospital ICU to take patients soon, replacing one of Canada's worst units

New Nanaimo hospital ICU to take patients soon, replacing one of Canada's worst units
Dix was in Nanaimo today for an opening ceremony for the unit that will replace what he says is an outdated and undersized ICU, a10-bed facility built in 1970. He says the new $41.6-million unit includes larger single-patient rooms, overhead patient lifts and a family consulting room.

New Nanaimo hospital ICU to take patients soon, replacing one of Canada's worst units