Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver Transit Strike : Union Announces System-Wide Shutdown For 3 Days Next Week - VIDEO

Darpan News Desk, 20 Nov, 2019 09:36 PM

    Unless progress can be made in contract talks between TransLink’s Coast Mountain Bus Company and Unifor, a three-day system-wide work stoppage will commence at Wednesday, November 27, 2019.

     

    “Transit workers have been more than patient with TransLink but continued disrespect for our members has left them little choice but to escalate job action,” said Jerry Dias, Unifor National President. “We had hoped that overtime bans would demonstrate how essential transit workers are to the province’s most populous region, but TransLink has failed to offer a contract that matches the contribution of our members.”

     

    If a fair deal is not achieved, members of Unifor Locals 111 and 2200 will be on picket lines during November 27, 28, and 29. Transit workers will return to their full shifts on November 30 and continue providing service.

     

     

    “Transit workers take pride in serving the public. This dispute can end tomorrow if the employer stops playing games,” said Gavin McGarrigle, Unifor Western Regional Director and lead negotiator during the talks. “Unifor members have given TransLink every opportunity to avoid a system-wide shut-down.”

     

    Unifor is encouraging transit passengers to vent their frustration with TransLink at a rally scheduled for 1 p.m. on November 28 at the TransLink offices. The action coincides with a TransLink Mayors’ Council meeting at the offices.

     

    “TransLink’s poor treatment of workers is having an impact on the broader commuting public. Passengers can help end this dispute by increasing the pressure on TransLink to get back to the bargaining table with a new mandate,” said McGarrigle. “Transit workers and mayors both support expansion, but to accomplish a system expansion that doesn’t leave workers behind, the mayors need reign in TransLink and restore accountability to the system.”

     

    There are no talks scheduled between CMBC and Unifor.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    ‘He Deserves Justice’: New Plea For Information In Fatal Shooting Of Vancouver 15-year-old Alfred Wong

    Vancouver Police today announced that information has recently come to light that suggests there are people with key information about a 2018 double homicide, who have not yet spoken with police.

    ‘He Deserves Justice’: New Plea For Information In Fatal Shooting Of Vancouver 15-year-old Alfred Wong

    Report Says Why PMO Wanted Former Supreme Court Judges To Advise On SNC-Lavalin

    Ethics commissioner Mario Dion's report released Wednesday concludes that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau violated ethics law by improperly pressuring former attorney general Jody-Wilson Raybould to halt criminal prosecution of the Montreal engineering giant.

    Report Says Why PMO Wanted Former Supreme Court Judges To Advise On SNC-Lavalin

    Northerners Applaud Funding For Long-Awaited Road Through Arctic Tundra

    Work is expected to begin on the first road into the heart of Canada's mineral-rich tundra after two funding announcements this week by federal Transportation Minister Marc Garneau.

    Northerners Applaud Funding For Long-Awaited Road Through Arctic Tundra

    7 Hurt, About 100 Homes Evacuated After Blast, Fire In London, Ont.

    7 Hurt, About 100 Homes Evacuated After Blast, Fire In London, Ont.
    Seven people were injured and about 100 homes had to be evacuated after a house explosion in a southwestern Ontario city caused a massive fire late Wednesday night.    

    7 Hurt, About 100 Homes Evacuated After Blast, Fire In London, Ont.

    High Profile Could Help Jody Wilson-Raybould Keep Her Seat Away From Liberals

     There had been a few names floating around when the Liberals were seeking a candidate for the newly created riding of Vancouver Granville in the last federal election, but it soon became clear the party brass had only one person in mind.

    High Profile Could Help Jody Wilson-Raybould Keep Her Seat Away From Liberals

    Quebec Introduces New Safety Measures At Site Of Deadly Highway Crash

    Quebec Introduces New Safety Measures At Site Of Deadly Highway Crash
    MONTREAL - Quebec Transport Minister Francois Bonnardel has announced four measures to improve safety and traffic flow at the site of a deadly pileup that left four people dead this month north of Montreal.    

    Quebec Introduces New Safety Measures At Site Of Deadly Highway Crash