Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver Transit Strike : Union Announces System-Wide Shutdown For 3 Days Next Week - VIDEO

Darpan News Desk, 20 Nov, 2019 09:36 PM

    Unless progress can be made in contract talks between TransLink’s Coast Mountain Bus Company and Unifor, a three-day system-wide work stoppage will commence at Wednesday, November 27, 2019.

     

    “Transit workers have been more than patient with TransLink but continued disrespect for our members has left them little choice but to escalate job action,” said Jerry Dias, Unifor National President. “We had hoped that overtime bans would demonstrate how essential transit workers are to the province’s most populous region, but TransLink has failed to offer a contract that matches the contribution of our members.”

     

    If a fair deal is not achieved, members of Unifor Locals 111 and 2200 will be on picket lines during November 27, 28, and 29. Transit workers will return to their full shifts on November 30 and continue providing service.

     

     

    “Transit workers take pride in serving the public. This dispute can end tomorrow if the employer stops playing games,” said Gavin McGarrigle, Unifor Western Regional Director and lead negotiator during the talks. “Unifor members have given TransLink every opportunity to avoid a system-wide shut-down.”

     

    Unifor is encouraging transit passengers to vent their frustration with TransLink at a rally scheduled for 1 p.m. on November 28 at the TransLink offices. The action coincides with a TransLink Mayors’ Council meeting at the offices.

     

    “TransLink’s poor treatment of workers is having an impact on the broader commuting public. Passengers can help end this dispute by increasing the pressure on TransLink to get back to the bargaining table with a new mandate,” said McGarrigle. “Transit workers and mayors both support expansion, but to accomplish a system expansion that doesn’t leave workers behind, the mayors need reign in TransLink and restore accountability to the system.”

     

    There are no talks scheduled between CMBC and Unifor.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Crown Won't Appeal Oland Verdict

    Oland, 51, was charged with the killing in 2013 and spent close to a year in prison after being convicted by a jury in 2015.

    Crown Won't Appeal Oland Verdict

    Manhunt Suspects Died By Apparent Suicide: Police

    Autopsies have confirmed two bodies found in northern Manitoba last week are those of two teenage murder suspects, who shot themselves.    

    Manhunt Suspects Died By Apparent Suicide: Police

    VIDEO: Andrew Scheer Condemns Woman Filmed Yelling Racial Slurs, Spitting On Man In Toronto

    VIDEO: Andrew Scheer Condemns Woman Filmed Yelling Racial Slurs, Spitting On Man In Toronto
    The racial slurs and intolerant comments made by an ostensible supporter of the federal Conservatives have no place in the country, the party's leader said

    VIDEO: Andrew Scheer Condemns Woman Filmed Yelling Racial Slurs, Spitting On Man In Toronto

    Surrey RCMP Investigate Shots Fired Overnight In Whalley

    Surrey RCMP Investigate Shots Fired Overnight In Whalley
    Surrey RCMP is investigating a shots fired in the Whalley area of Surrey.    

    Surrey RCMP Investigate Shots Fired Overnight In Whalley

    No One Hurt, Some Sprayed With Oil: Vancouver Amusement Park Ride Breaks Down

     Visitors to a popular Vancouver amusement park were showered with oil but no one was seriously hurt when a ride known as The Beast broke down on Monday.

    No One Hurt, Some Sprayed With Oil: Vancouver Amusement Park Ride Breaks Down

    'Mika Singh Night' In Karachi Had ISI Officials, Dawood Ibrahim’s Family On Guest List

    Netizens are miffed that #MikaSingh chose to perform in Karachi despite being aware of the recent conflict between the two nations  

    'Mika Singh Night' In Karachi Had ISI Officials, Dawood Ibrahim’s Family On Guest List