Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver Transit Strike : Union Announces System-Wide Shutdown For 3 Days Next Week - VIDEO

Darpan News Desk, 20 Nov, 2019 09:36 PM

    Unless progress can be made in contract talks between TransLink’s Coast Mountain Bus Company and Unifor, a three-day system-wide work stoppage will commence at Wednesday, November 27, 2019.

     

    “Transit workers have been more than patient with TransLink but continued disrespect for our members has left them little choice but to escalate job action,” said Jerry Dias, Unifor National President. “We had hoped that overtime bans would demonstrate how essential transit workers are to the province’s most populous region, but TransLink has failed to offer a contract that matches the contribution of our members.”

     

    If a fair deal is not achieved, members of Unifor Locals 111 and 2200 will be on picket lines during November 27, 28, and 29. Transit workers will return to their full shifts on November 30 and continue providing service.

     

     

    “Transit workers take pride in serving the public. This dispute can end tomorrow if the employer stops playing games,” said Gavin McGarrigle, Unifor Western Regional Director and lead negotiator during the talks. “Unifor members have given TransLink every opportunity to avoid a system-wide shut-down.”

     

    Unifor is encouraging transit passengers to vent their frustration with TransLink at a rally scheduled for 1 p.m. on November 28 at the TransLink offices. The action coincides with a TransLink Mayors’ Council meeting at the offices.

     

    “TransLink’s poor treatment of workers is having an impact on the broader commuting public. Passengers can help end this dispute by increasing the pressure on TransLink to get back to the bargaining table with a new mandate,” said McGarrigle. “Transit workers and mayors both support expansion, but to accomplish a system expansion that doesn’t leave workers behind, the mayors need reign in TransLink and restore accountability to the system.”

     

    There are no talks scheduled between CMBC and Unifor.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Jagmeet Singh Sees Quebec As 'Fertile Ground' For NDP As He Hits Province For Tour

    NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says the province of Quebec offers the New Democrats "fertile ground" despite private hand-wringing about its current state ahead of the election.

    Jagmeet Singh Sees Quebec As 'Fertile Ground' For NDP As He Hits Province For Tour

    IIO Investigates VPD After Man Dies In Fall From West End Apartment

    IIO Investigates VPD After Man Dies In Fall From West End Apartment
    A distraught man, throwing large items out of a high-rise West End apartment, has fallen to his death.

    IIO Investigates VPD After Man Dies In Fall From West End Apartment

    Vancouver Police Seek Video Of Early Saturday Morning Stabbing

    Vancouver Police Seek Video Of Early Saturday Morning Stabbing
    An early morning downtown stabbing has sent a 25-year-old man to hospital with serious life-threatening injuries. Police are seeking witnesses, and video from cell phones and dash cams.

    Vancouver Police Seek Video Of Early Saturday Morning Stabbing

    Langley Police Investigating Stabbing Of 32-Yr-Old Man

    Langley Police Investigating Stabbing Of 32-Yr-Old Man
    Shortly after 2:35 am on July 13, 2019, the Langley RCMP received a call from a man reporting he had been stabbed.

    Langley Police Investigating Stabbing Of 32-Yr-Old Man

    Chuckwagon Race Safety Up For Review After Six Horses Die During Stampede Event

    Stampede officials say in a website statement that the horses went down Sunday evening in the eighth race when the right lead horse on the wagon driven by Evan Salmond broke a bone in a hind leg.

    Chuckwagon Race Safety Up For Review After Six Horses Die During Stampede Event

    Search For Missing Quebec Businessman, Son Stretches Into Fifth Day

    Search For Missing Quebec Businessman, Son Stretches Into Fifth Day
    The search stretched into a fifth day for Stephane Roy and his 14-year-old son, who never reached their hometown of Ste-Sophie, Que., last Thursday. They were reported missing the next day.    

    Search For Missing Quebec Businessman, Son Stretches Into Fifth Day