Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 12:49 PM
  • Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'

B.C.’s Office of the Human Rights Commissioner says it's planning to release the results of an inquiry into police use of force in the province later this year, but it's still crunching numbers in the meantime. 

The inquiry launched last January is probing police departments for use-of-force data to determine if it shows "disproportionate impacts to racialized persons or persons with mental health issues." 

The Victoria Police Department on Wednesday released race-based data showing an "overrepresentation" of Indigenous people in cases involving police use of force over a six-year period from 2018 to 2023. 

But the police department said the overrepresentation is also reflected in the justice system overall and the data doesn't mean officers are choosing to use force "on one specific ethnicity over another."

The data was released in response to an order in November from the province's human rights commissioner.  

The police department's "race-focused data" from 2018 to 2023 shows Indigenous people were involved in 17 per cent of cases involving use of force, an "overrepresentation of Indigenous persons related to the local population." 

Less than five per cent of Victoria's population identify as Indigenous, according to census data.

The department said it recorded 1,685 use-of-force incidents over the six-year period.

It said 1,246 of the incidents representing 74 per cent of cases involved Caucasian people, 280 involved Indigenous people, 14 involved Asian individuals, 52 involved Black people, and 64 involved Hispanic, Middle Eastern or South Asian people.

The police department said the data is missing context because it does not differentiate between levels of force used by officers, or whether it was initiated by police or the subjects. 

It said force ranges from "soft physical control that causes injury" to shootings.

"We haven’t completed our analysis of the data yet so we’re unable to comment at this point," said Lindsey Bertrand, spokeswoman for the commissioner's office, in an email to The Canadian Press.

"We’re expecting to make the inquiry results public in late summer (or) early fall." 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. port employers issue lockout notice in labour dispute with foremen union

B.C. port employers issue lockout notice in labour dispute with foremen union
Ports in British Columbia are waking up to the possibility of another provincewide labour disruption as employers say they will lock out members of the union representing more than 700 foremen after it served a strike notice. The BC Maritime Employers Association says in a statement that it has issued a formal notice that it will "defensively" lock out members of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 starting Monday at 8 a.m.

B.C. port employers issue lockout notice in labour dispute with foremen union

Man flees to India in AP Dhillon shooting

Man flees to India in AP Dhillon shooting
Mounties on Vancouver Island say a man has been arrested in Ontario and another is believed to have fled to India after shots were fired at a home in Greater Victoria last month. Property records show the home is owned by Punjabi music star A-P Dhillon, who posted on Instagram after the shooting that he was safe.

Man flees to India in AP Dhillon shooting

Vancouver confirms CRAB Park temporary sheltering area will close next week

Vancouver confirms CRAB Park temporary sheltering area will close next week
The City of Vancouver says the remaining seven residents of an encampment at a Downtown Eastside park have a week to pack up their belongings and leave, or they must remove their tents each day as the area returns to regular daytime use. A statement from the city says people may continue sheltering at CRAB Park overnight, but structures must be taken down by 8 a.m. each day starting Nov. 7.

Vancouver confirms CRAB Park temporary sheltering area will close next week

Suspicious activity with van

Suspicious activity with van
Police in Metro Vancouver say they're investigating two reports of suspicious interactions involving a man driving a white van approaching young girls. New Westminster police say they received the second report after issuing a public statement about the first interaction involving two 12-year-old girls on October 26th.

Suspicious activity with van

Pedestrian dies in vehicle crash

Pedestrian dies in vehicle crash
Ridge Meadows Mounties say a female pedestrian died last week after being struck by a vehicle in one of three crashes involving cyclists or pedestrians in the area in the last seven days. Police say the fatal crash happened on Lougheed Highway on October 25th, when the 49-year-old victim from Pitt Meadows died at the scene despite live-saving efforts from emergency workers.

Pedestrian dies in vehicle crash

Canadian election watchers to gather in bars, homes to watch polarizing U.S. vote

Canadian election watchers to gather in bars, homes to watch polarizing U.S. vote
Canadians engrossed in the drama of the U.S. presidential election expect to gather in bars and living rooms to watch the votes roll in Tuesday, but many say the usual fanfare of watch parties will be muted by anxiety over the especially combative race.

Canadian election watchers to gather in bars, homes to watch polarizing U.S. vote