Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 12:49 PM
  • Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'

B.C.’s Office of the Human Rights Commissioner says it's planning to release the results of an inquiry into police use of force in the province later this year, but it's still crunching numbers in the meantime. 

The inquiry launched last January is probing police departments for use-of-force data to determine if it shows "disproportionate impacts to racialized persons or persons with mental health issues." 

The Victoria Police Department on Wednesday released race-based data showing an "overrepresentation" of Indigenous people in cases involving police use of force over a six-year period from 2018 to 2023. 

But the police department said the overrepresentation is also reflected in the justice system overall and the data doesn't mean officers are choosing to use force "on one specific ethnicity over another."

The data was released in response to an order in November from the province's human rights commissioner.  

The police department's "race-focused data" from 2018 to 2023 shows Indigenous people were involved in 17 per cent of cases involving use of force, an "overrepresentation of Indigenous persons related to the local population." 

Less than five per cent of Victoria's population identify as Indigenous, according to census data.

The department said it recorded 1,685 use-of-force incidents over the six-year period.

It said 1,246 of the incidents representing 74 per cent of cases involved Caucasian people, 280 involved Indigenous people, 14 involved Asian individuals, 52 involved Black people, and 64 involved Hispanic, Middle Eastern or South Asian people.

The police department said the data is missing context because it does not differentiate between levels of force used by officers, or whether it was initiated by police or the subjects. 

It said force ranges from "soft physical control that causes injury" to shootings.

"We haven’t completed our analysis of the data yet so we’re unable to comment at this point," said Lindsey Bertrand, spokeswoman for the commissioner's office, in an email to The Canadian Press.

"We’re expecting to make the inquiry results public in late summer (or) early fall." 

MORE National ARTICLES

House committee to summon RCMP, ministers over allegations of Indian interference

House committee to summon RCMP, ministers over allegations of Indian interference
The head of the RCMP and Canada's ministers of foreign affairs and public safety will be summoned to testify at a House of Commons committee about the bombshell allegations made this week about Indian state-sponsored interference in Canada. The national security committee agreed to call RCMP Commissioner Mike Duheme along with Mélanie Joly and Dominic LeBlanc in a special meeting this morning.

House committee to summon RCMP, ministers over allegations of Indian interference

3 arrested in Whalley stabbing

3 arrested in Whalley stabbing
Mounties in Surrey say three people have been arrested in the stabbing of a woman in the Whalley neighbourhood earlier this month. They say the assault happened around 12:30 a-m on October 6th, and the R-C-M-P released photos and videos of the suspects 10 days later. 

3 arrested in Whalley stabbing

Weather warnings issued as atmospheric river approaches B.C. coast

Weather warnings issued as atmospheric river approaches B.C. coast
Environment Canada has issued several rainfall warnings for British Columbia, covering much of Vancouver Island and the coastal regions as the first atmospheric river of the season approaches. It says heavy rain is expected to reach inland sections of the central coast that will intensify throughout the day before peaking this afternoon, bringing up to 70 millimetres.

Weather warnings issued as atmospheric river approaches B.C. coast

Tobacco giants would pay out $32.5 billion to provinces, smokers in proposed deal

Tobacco giants would pay out $32.5 billion to provinces, smokers in proposed deal
The companies — JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. — filed a proposed plan of arrangement in an Ontario court today after more than five years of negotiations with their creditors. The companies sought creditor protection in Ontario in early 2019 after they lost an appeal in a landmark court battle in Quebec.

Tobacco giants would pay out $32.5 billion to provinces, smokers in proposed deal

14 arrested in Whalley's drug trade

14 arrested in Whalley's drug trade
Police in Surrey say they have arrested 14 people in an enforcement operation targeting an open drug trade in the city’s Whalley area. Mounties say the operation took place on October 3rd, and also resulted in the seizure of 16 weapons, including a pellet gun, brass knuckles, batons, bear spray and knives.

14 arrested in Whalley's drug trade

Trudeau says death of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar 'ends a reign of terror'

Trudeau says death of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar 'ends a reign of terror'
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Israel's killing of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar in the Gaza Strip "ends a reign of terror." The Israeli military declared today that it had killed Sinwar during a Wednesday battle and confirmed his death with a DNA test.

Trudeau says death of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar 'ends a reign of terror'