Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 12:49 PM
  • Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'

B.C.’s Office of the Human Rights Commissioner says it's planning to release the results of an inquiry into police use of force in the province later this year, but it's still crunching numbers in the meantime. 

The inquiry launched last January is probing police departments for use-of-force data to determine if it shows "disproportionate impacts to racialized persons or persons with mental health issues." 

The Victoria Police Department on Wednesday released race-based data showing an "overrepresentation" of Indigenous people in cases involving police use of force over a six-year period from 2018 to 2023. 

But the police department said the overrepresentation is also reflected in the justice system overall and the data doesn't mean officers are choosing to use force "on one specific ethnicity over another."

The data was released in response to an order in November from the province's human rights commissioner.  

The police department's "race-focused data" from 2018 to 2023 shows Indigenous people were involved in 17 per cent of cases involving use of force, an "overrepresentation of Indigenous persons related to the local population." 

Less than five per cent of Victoria's population identify as Indigenous, according to census data.

The department said it recorded 1,685 use-of-force incidents over the six-year period.

It said 1,246 of the incidents representing 74 per cent of cases involved Caucasian people, 280 involved Indigenous people, 14 involved Asian individuals, 52 involved Black people, and 64 involved Hispanic, Middle Eastern or South Asian people.

The police department said the data is missing context because it does not differentiate between levels of force used by officers, or whether it was initiated by police or the subjects. 

It said force ranges from "soft physical control that causes injury" to shootings.

"We haven’t completed our analysis of the data yet so we’re unable to comment at this point," said Lindsey Bertrand, spokeswoman for the commissioner's office, in an email to The Canadian Press.

"We’re expecting to make the inquiry results public in late summer (or) early fall." 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Interior wildfires show increased activity, triggering evacuation alert

B.C. Interior wildfires show increased activity, triggering evacuation alert
A growing cluster of out-of-control wildfires in the British Columbia Interior has forced officials to place residents in the area under an evacuation alert. The Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako says people in a remote area about 80 kilometres south of Burns Lake, B.C., should be prepared to leave on short notice.

B.C. Interior wildfires show increased activity, triggering evacuation alert

Recent immigrants shut out of strong wage growth as unemployment rises in Canada

Recent immigrants shut out of strong wage growth as unemployment rises in Canada
Canada's unemployment rate continued to trend higher in August — reaching 6.6 per cent — as the job market slowdown hits workers and job seekers unevenly. Statistics Canada’s labour force survey on Friday showed the economy added a modest 22,000 jobs last month, lagging the pace of population growth.

Recent immigrants shut out of strong wage growth as unemployment rises in Canada

Witnesses sought in hit and run

Witnesses sought in hit and run
Police are looking for witnesses after investigators determined that a man found dead off the Coquihalla Highway last month was the victim of a hit-and-run. The B-C Highway Patrol say the man was found just off the roadway near a highway exit in Merritt on August 30th.

Witnesses sought in hit and run

First degree murder charge in Restaurant shooting

First degree murder charge in Restaurant shooting
A man has been convicted of first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of another man at a Richmond sushi restaurant.  Jian Jun Zhu was killed in the September 2020 shooting at Manzo restaurant where another victim was also shot but survived.

First degree murder charge in Restaurant shooting

2 men charged with assault in stabbing

2 men charged with assault in stabbing
Police in New Westminster have charged two men with assault in a stabbing described as an "unprovoked attack by a stranger." Police say officers were flagged down on the night of July 30th to assist someone suffering from a stab wound in the abdomen.

2 men charged with assault in stabbing

Homicide in Agassiz

Homicide in Agassiz
Police in Agassiz say a man has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a woman in a case of possible intimate partner violence. Mounties say police were called to a home at the Seabird Island Band in April and found a 33-year-old woman dead at the scene.

Homicide in Agassiz