Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 12:49 PM
  • Victoria police use-of-force data shows Indigenous 'overrepresentation'

B.C.’s Office of the Human Rights Commissioner says it's planning to release the results of an inquiry into police use of force in the province later this year, but it's still crunching numbers in the meantime. 

The inquiry launched last January is probing police departments for use-of-force data to determine if it shows "disproportionate impacts to racialized persons or persons with mental health issues." 

The Victoria Police Department on Wednesday released race-based data showing an "overrepresentation" of Indigenous people in cases involving police use of force over a six-year period from 2018 to 2023. 

But the police department said the overrepresentation is also reflected in the justice system overall and the data doesn't mean officers are choosing to use force "on one specific ethnicity over another."

The data was released in response to an order in November from the province's human rights commissioner.  

The police department's "race-focused data" from 2018 to 2023 shows Indigenous people were involved in 17 per cent of cases involving use of force, an "overrepresentation of Indigenous persons related to the local population." 

Less than five per cent of Victoria's population identify as Indigenous, according to census data.

The department said it recorded 1,685 use-of-force incidents over the six-year period.

It said 1,246 of the incidents representing 74 per cent of cases involved Caucasian people, 280 involved Indigenous people, 14 involved Asian individuals, 52 involved Black people, and 64 involved Hispanic, Middle Eastern or South Asian people.

The police department said the data is missing context because it does not differentiate between levels of force used by officers, or whether it was initiated by police or the subjects. 

It said force ranges from "soft physical control that causes injury" to shootings.

"We haven’t completed our analysis of the data yet so we’re unable to comment at this point," said Lindsey Bertrand, spokeswoman for the commissioner's office, in an email to The Canadian Press.

"We’re expecting to make the inquiry results public in late summer (or) early fall." 

MORE National ARTICLES

Family spokesman says slain Edmonton security guard had only been working three days

Family spokesman says slain Edmonton security guard had only been working three days
A spokesman for the family of a security guard who police say was murdered while patrolling an Edmonton apartment building last week says the man had only been on the job for three days. Gagandeep Singh Ghuman says Harshandeep Singh was from Haryana state in northern India. He came to Canada a year and a half ago on a student visa and was enrolled at NorQuest College in the city.

Family spokesman says slain Edmonton security guard had only been working three days

Highway 97 reopen after closure for assault investigation

Highway 97 reopen after closure for assault investigation
RCMP in Kelowna say they have reopened Highway 97 to all traffic after closing it for a stretch due to an assault investigation in the early morning hours on Friday. The route was shut just before 1 p.m., and Mounties issued a statement saying the route had reopened just before 2:15 p.m.

Highway 97 reopen after closure for assault investigation

B.C. minister wants new safety plan for Victoria schools, threatens board removal

B.C. minister wants new safety plan for Victoria schools, threatens board removal
Beare says former Abbotsford, B.C., school superintendent Kevin Godden will help with the changes, and if a plan isn't reached by Jan. 6, she will consider using the School Act to replace the current school board.

B.C. minister wants new safety plan for Victoria schools, threatens board removal

'Duty to learn': Vigils mark 35th anniversary of Polytechnique anti-feminist killings

'Duty to learn': Vigils mark 35th anniversary of Polytechnique anti-feminist killings
Braving a biting winter wind, dignitaries gathered in front of Polytechnique Montréal's main campus on Friday to pay tribute to the 14 women killed at the engineering school in an anti-feminist attack 35 years ago. Among those silently laying white flowers at the foot of a commemorative plaque was Louis Courville, who was the interim director of the school in 1989.

'Duty to learn': Vigils mark 35th anniversary of Polytechnique anti-feminist killings

Ombudsman to investigate delay in sending social assistance cheques amid post strike

Ombudsman to investigate delay in sending social assistance cheques amid post strike
Thousands of social assistance cheques have not been distributed in British Columbia because of the Canada Post strike, prompting an investigation by provincial ombudsperson Jay Chalke. Chalke's office began investigating when he was told by the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction that many income and disability assistance cheques weren't delivered. 

Ombudsman to investigate delay in sending social assistance cheques amid post strike

Cyclist dies in Vancouver

Cyclist dies in Vancouver
Police in Vancouver are investigating after a cyclist was killed after being hit by a five-tonne delivery truck. Police say the man in his 60s was hit near Kingsway and Nanaimo Street just before 12:30 p-m and died at the scene.

Cyclist dies in Vancouver