Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

VIDEO: B.C. Woman Jeeti Pooni In 'Complete Shock' After Sex Abuse Convictions Tossed Over Court Delays

Darpan News Desk, 14 Jun, 2019 06:47 PM

    Three sisters who endured sexual abuse for years are feeling betrayed yet again. Jeeti Pooni says she was 11 years old when she was sexually assaulted by someone her parents trusted. She didn’t disclose the abuse until she was in her 20s, and says when she did, her sisters told her they, too, were abused by the same man. Later, all three decided to pursue criminal charges against the alleged abuser.

     

    Manjit Singh Virk was convicted on April 6, 2018, of sexually abusing Pooni, sister Salakshana and their cousin Rajinder Rana.

     

    But on Monday, a B.C. Supreme Court Judge stayed those convictions, arguing that excessive court delays prevented the accused from getting a fair trial.

     

    "It was a complete shock," Pooni told As It Happens host Carol Off. "After all these years, and after a guilty verdict, this is not what one would expect from the system."

     

    She posted a message for PM Trudeau on Facebook saying, “Yesterday we confronted a painful truth of a completely failed criminal justice system. When this happens one goes straight to the top. My most important message to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on behalf of my sisters and I. For those of you who have been inquiring and waiting for the Supreme Court decision, here is the video of my reaction. This is a call to action. Please share and comment.”

     

    WATCH VIDEO:

     
     

     
     

    Last year the National Film Board of Canada had announced the release of “Because We Are Girls” by Baljit Sangra – a feature-length, intimate documentary about three Punjabi-Canadian sisters from B.C. who, after years of sexual abuse by a family member, unite to fight the abuser in the courts.

     

    Photo: Jeeti Pooni/Facebook

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Sukhmander Singh Owner Of Truck In Broncos Crash Pleads Guilty To Safety Charges, Fined $5K

    The owner of the transport truck involved in the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash has admitted he did not follow provincial and federal safety rules.

    Sukhmander Singh Owner Of Truck In Broncos Crash Pleads Guilty To Safety Charges, Fined $5K

    Public Art 'Fixture' In Downtown Nanaimo, B.C., Stolen: RCMP

    NANAIMO, B.C. — RCMP say a piece of public art that was a fixture in downtown Nanaimo, B.C., has been stolen.

    Public Art 'Fixture' In Downtown Nanaimo, B.C., Stolen: RCMP

    B.C. Seaplane Company's Plan For Electric Fleet Is Set For Take Off

    VANCOUVER — A seaplane company in British Columbia says it is partnering with an engineering firm with the goal of becoming the world's first all-electric airline.

    B.C. Seaplane Company's Plan For Electric Fleet Is Set For Take Off

    Ridge Meadows RCMP Looking For Man Accused Of Offering Ride To 12-Year-Old Girl

    Police are asking for the public's help in identifying a man who allegedly offered a 12-year-old girl a ride home near a school in Maple Ridge, B.C.

    Ridge Meadows RCMP Looking For Man Accused Of Offering Ride To 12-Year-Old Girl

    Pedestrian Killed In Coquitlam, B.C., Crash Identified As 13-Year-Old Girl

    COQUITLAM, B.C. — Police say a 13-year-old girl was the pedestrian who died after a collision on Monday at an intersection in Coquitlam, B.C.    

    Pedestrian Killed In Coquitlam, B.C., Crash Identified As 13-Year-Old Girl

    BC Coroners Service To Hold Public Inquest Into Teen's Overdose Death

    VICTORIA — The BC Coroners Service says it has scheduled a inquest into the overdose death of a Victoria teenager last year.

    BC Coroners Service To Hold Public Inquest Into Teen's Overdose Death