Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

VIDEO: B.C. Woman Jeeti Pooni In 'Complete Shock' After Sex Abuse Convictions Tossed Over Court Delays

Darpan News Desk, 14 Jun, 2019 06:47 PM

    Three sisters who endured sexual abuse for years are feeling betrayed yet again. Jeeti Pooni says she was 11 years old when she was sexually assaulted by someone her parents trusted. She didn’t disclose the abuse until she was in her 20s, and says when she did, her sisters told her they, too, were abused by the same man. Later, all three decided to pursue criminal charges against the alleged abuser.

     

    Manjit Singh Virk was convicted on April 6, 2018, of sexually abusing Pooni, sister Salakshana and their cousin Rajinder Rana.

     

    But on Monday, a B.C. Supreme Court Judge stayed those convictions, arguing that excessive court delays prevented the accused from getting a fair trial.

     

    "It was a complete shock," Pooni told As It Happens host Carol Off. "After all these years, and after a guilty verdict, this is not what one would expect from the system."

     

    She posted a message for PM Trudeau on Facebook saying, “Yesterday we confronted a painful truth of a completely failed criminal justice system. When this happens one goes straight to the top. My most important message to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on behalf of my sisters and I. For those of you who have been inquiring and waiting for the Supreme Court decision, here is the video of my reaction. This is a call to action. Please share and comment.”

     

    WATCH VIDEO:

     
     

     
     

    Last year the National Film Board of Canada had announced the release of “Because We Are Girls” by Baljit Sangra – a feature-length, intimate documentary about three Punjabi-Canadian sisters from B.C. who, after years of sexual abuse by a family member, unite to fight the abuser in the courts.

     

    Photo: Jeeti Pooni/Facebook

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Government Announces $18.6 Million In Search And Rescue Funding

    B.C. Government Announces $18.6 Million In Search And Rescue Funding
    The British Columbia government has announced more funding to search and rescue groups throughout the province to be used over the next three years.  

    B.C. Government Announces $18.6 Million In Search And Rescue Funding

    Trudeau Calls May 6 Byelection For B.C. Riding Of Nanaimo-Ladysmith

    Trudeau Calls May 6 Byelection For B.C. Riding Of Nanaimo-Ladysmith
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced a May byelection in British Columbia to fill a seat vacated by a former New Democrat MP.

    Trudeau Calls May 6 Byelection For B.C. Riding Of Nanaimo-Ladysmith

    Former Afghanistan Hostage Joshua Boyle Being Tried On Assault Charges

    A trial is underway in Ontario court for former Afghanistan hostage Joshua Boyle who is facing several assault charges.

    Former Afghanistan Hostage Joshua Boyle Being Tried On Assault Charges

    Canada Revenue Agency Apologizes As Online Services Go Down

    Canada Revenue Agency Apologizes As Online Services Go Down
    OTTAWA — The Canada Revenue Agency says its online systems have gone down and it isn't saying when they will be back.

    Canada Revenue Agency Apologizes As Online Services Go Down

    Canadian Man Charged With Spying In China Gets Visit By Consular Officials

    Global Affairs Canada says consular officials in China visited today with detained former diplomat Michael Kovrig today.

    Canadian Man Charged With Spying In China Gets Visit By Consular Officials

    Edmonton Judge Rules Omar Khadr's Sentence Has Expired

    EDMONTON — An Alberta judge has ruled that a war crimes sentence for former Guantanamo Bay prisoner Omar Khadr has expired.

    Edmonton Judge Rules Omar Khadr's Sentence Has Expired