Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

VIDEO: B.C. Woman Jeeti Pooni In 'Complete Shock' After Sex Abuse Convictions Tossed Over Court Delays

Darpan News Desk, 14 Jun, 2019 06:47 PM

    Three sisters who endured sexual abuse for years are feeling betrayed yet again. Jeeti Pooni says she was 11 years old when she was sexually assaulted by someone her parents trusted. She didn’t disclose the abuse until she was in her 20s, and says when she did, her sisters told her they, too, were abused by the same man. Later, all three decided to pursue criminal charges against the alleged abuser.

     

    Manjit Singh Virk was convicted on April 6, 2018, of sexually abusing Pooni, sister Salakshana and their cousin Rajinder Rana.

     

    But on Monday, a B.C. Supreme Court Judge stayed those convictions, arguing that excessive court delays prevented the accused from getting a fair trial.

     

    "It was a complete shock," Pooni told As It Happens host Carol Off. "After all these years, and after a guilty verdict, this is not what one would expect from the system."

     

    She posted a message for PM Trudeau on Facebook saying, “Yesterday we confronted a painful truth of a completely failed criminal justice system. When this happens one goes straight to the top. My most important message to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on behalf of my sisters and I. For those of you who have been inquiring and waiting for the Supreme Court decision, here is the video of my reaction. This is a call to action. Please share and comment.”

     

    WATCH VIDEO:

     
     

     
     

    Last year the National Film Board of Canada had announced the release of “Because We Are Girls” by Baljit Sangra – a feature-length, intimate documentary about three Punjabi-Canadian sisters from B.C. who, after years of sexual abuse by a family member, unite to fight the abuser in the courts.

     

    Photo: Jeeti Pooni/Facebook

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Vancouver Police Arrest Suspect Following Friday Night Death Of Teenager

    Vancouver Police Arrest Suspect Following Friday Night Death Of Teenager
    Vancouver police say they've charged an 18-year-old man in the death of another teenager following a Friday night assault.    

    Vancouver Police Arrest Suspect Following Friday Night Death Of Teenager

    Airlines Shift Planes To Get March Break Travellers Home Amid Max 8 Grounding

    Airlines Shift Planes To Get March Break Travellers Home Amid Max 8 Grounding
    Two Canadian airlines dealing with the grounding of Boeing Max 8 jets say they have re-assigned other planes to accommodate travellers returning home from March Break vacations.

    Airlines Shift Planes To Get March Break Travellers Home Amid Max 8 Grounding

    Safety Board Investigates Collision Of Two Ships In Vancouver Harbour

    Safety Board Investigates Collision Of Two Ships In Vancouver Harbour
    RICHMOND, B.C. — The Transportation Safety Board is deploying a team of investigators after a bulk carrier and cargo ship collided in Vancouver Harbour.

    Safety Board Investigates Collision Of Two Ships In Vancouver Harbour

    Surrey, B.C. Man Mourns The Loss Of Classmate Killed In New Zealand Mosque Attack

    Shaukat Khan said when he heard news of the attack, he sent a message to his friend, Naeem Rashid, reading: "Hope all is well with you and your family. Just heard about the news. Let me know."

    Surrey, B.C. Man Mourns The Loss Of Classmate Killed In New Zealand Mosque Attack

    19 Years After Her Murder In India, Husband Sukhwinder Singh Mithu Still Haunted By Wife’s Last Words

    19 Years After Her Murder In India, Husband Sukhwinder Singh Mithu Still Haunted By Wife’s Last Words
    VANCOUVER — The last words Sukhwinder Singh Mithu remembers from his wife were a plea to her killers.    

    19 Years After Her Murder In India, Husband Sukhwinder Singh Mithu Still Haunted By Wife’s Last Words

    Ontario Appeal Court Overturns Ruling Of Harassment Against RCMP Sergeant

    Ontario Appeal Court Overturns Ruling Of Harassment Against RCMP Sergeant
    Ontario's highest court has overturned a ruling that granted an RCMP sergeant more than $100,000 in damages for years of harassment by superiors, saying the judge made several legal and factual errors.

    Ontario Appeal Court Overturns Ruling Of Harassment Against RCMP Sergeant