Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Warning for photo-snapping drivers on B.C. highway

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Jan, 2022 10:40 AM
  • Warning for photo-snapping drivers on B.C. highway

VANCOUVER - A key British Columbia highway has reopened to all traffic after being torn apart by disastrous flooding in November but it only took hours for the Transportation Ministry to issue a safety reminder.

In a post on social media, the ministry says it has received reports of people stopping "in unsafe ways" to take pictures along the Coquihalla Highway corridor, also known as Highway 5.

A roughly 130-kilometre stretch of the multi-lane, high-speed link between the Lower Mainland and the Interior was ripped up by floods or slides that also collapsed or washed out seven bridges during a series of powerful rainstorms.

Crews working around the clock spent 35 days to restore one lane in each direction, although the route was restricted to commercial vehicles as vital supply chains were re-established.

After reopening to all traffic Wednesday, the ministry says it quickly received reports of two unprepared drivers running out of gas while many more were stopping to take photos of the flood damage.

The Facebook post says the extent of the devastation and scope of the ongoing repairs are remarkable, but stopping on the narrower road or unfinished shoulders is extremely dangerous.

"The work is impressive. We get it," the ministry says in the post.

"But you're putting yourself and others in harm's way."

Speed limits along many of the repaired sections of the mountainous highway have been cut to 50 km/h, which the ministry says will add nearly an hour to the trip between Hope and Merritt. It also warns drivers that rest stop and other services are not available.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Indoor mask mandate extended

Indoor mask mandate extended
British Columbia’s provincial health officer has extended the mask mandate that requires masks be worn in all indoor public spaces throughout B.C. The previous order, which was set to expire on Oct. 31, 2021, has been extended to continue to slow the transmission of COVID-19.

Indoor mask mandate extended

Man shot at Whalley residence: Surrey RCMP

Man shot at Whalley residence: Surrey RCMP
On October 29, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. the Surrey RCMP received a report that a male was shot at a residence in the 11100 block of 136th Street. Upon attendance, police located a male suffering from a possible gunshot injury.    

Man shot at Whalley residence: Surrey RCMP

More details of travel vaccine mandate announced

More details of travel vaccine mandate announced
Residents who leave their remote communities to access essential services need not be vaccinated to board a plane, Omar Alghabra told a news conference outside Toronto International Pearson Airport.

More details of travel vaccine mandate announced

Manage risks, don't close border again: task force

Manage risks, don't close border again: task force
The task force, assembled by the D.C.-based Wilson Center, says a risk-management approach to the border would have been less disruptive and damaging than the "zero-risk" approach that was adopted.

Manage risks, don't close border again: task force

Strong Vancouver Q2 commercial real estate sales

Strong Vancouver Q2 commercial real estate sales
A statement from the board says 726 commercial properties sold in the Lower Mainland between April and June, a nearly 115 per cent increase from sales in the same period last year.

Strong Vancouver Q2 commercial real estate sales

VPD appeals for help to ID knife-wielding man

VPD appeals for help to ID knife-wielding man
The concierge was working at a hotel on Robson Street on October 8 when he confronted a man who had entered the parkade and was peering into cars. The man pulled out a knife and allegedly threatened the hotel employee, before fleeing out to the street.

VPD appeals for help to ID knife-wielding man