Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

DARPAN 10: Nicole Robson President & CEO, Surrey Hospitals Foundation

DARPAN 10: Nicole Robson President & CEO, Surrey Hospitals Foundation
Meet President and CEO of Surrey Hospitals Foundation, Nicole Robson. Robson shares more on her role, vision for the foundation, and pushing the mandate of diversity forward.

DARPAN 10: Nicole Robson President & CEO, Surrey Hospitals Foundation

DoorDash increasing its fees

DoorDash increasing its fees
DoorDash says it's increasing fees in the province in response to provincial regulations that require it to pay its workers more. Starting this month, a new fee of 99 cents for restaurant delivery orders and up to two-dollars-99 cents for all other delivery orders will be added.

DoorDash increasing its fees

B.C. NDP to unveil election platform, Conservatives promise to end insurance monopoly

B.C. NDP to unveil election platform, Conservatives promise to end insurance monopoly
British Columbia NDP Leader David Eby is set to roll out the party's complete election platform as Conservative Leader John Rustad says his government would end the provincial insurance corporation's monopoly on basic vehicle insurance. Eby has a news conference scheduled in Surrey as the province nears the midway point of the election campaign ahead of the Oct. 19 election day.

B.C. NDP to unveil election platform, Conservatives promise to end insurance monopoly

Expected La Nina weather pattern could ease ongoing drought conditions in B.C.

Expected La Nina weather pattern could ease ongoing drought conditions in B.C.
British Columbia's nagging drought could be eased by an incoming weather pattern that may bring a colder and wetter than normal winter, says Sean Fleming, an adjunct UBC professor of atmospheric sciences. The prolonged drought has caused wildfires to burn year-round, forced some communities to ration water supplies and dangerously lowered water levels in rivers, impacting salmon runs. 

Expected La Nina weather pattern could ease ongoing drought conditions in B.C.

B.C. party leaders tussle over affordability in radio debate before Oct. 19 vote

B.C. party leaders tussle over affordability in radio debate before Oct. 19 vote
British Columbia's party leaders have jousted over affordability in their first and only radio debate of the province's election campaign. The debate brings together NDP Leader David Eby, B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad and Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau for the first time on the campaign trail ahead of the Oct. 19 vote.

B.C. party leaders tussle over affordability in radio debate before Oct. 19 vote

B.C. father and daughter accuse Canadian Tire, security company of racism, profiling

B.C. father and daughter accuse Canadian Tire, security company of racism, profiling
An Indigenous father and daughter in British Columbia are accusing Canadian Tire and its third party security company of racial profiling and racism after they say he was singled out at a store in Coquitlam and an employee responded with a racist comment. The complaint alleges that on January 17, 2020, the pair purchased new tires for installation and shopped in-store while they waited. 

B.C. father and daughter accuse Canadian Tire, security company of racism, profiling