Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada needs strategy reboot at a time of geopolitical turmoil: former ambassadors

Canada needs strategy reboot at a time of geopolitical turmoil: former ambassadors
Five former Canadian ambassadors to the United States have signed an open letter calling on Ottawa to adopt a plan to deepen co-operation with its closest neighbour, saying Canada needs a strategy reboot at a time of geopolitical turmoil. The plan to develop closer international ties in key sectors was laid out in a report from the Public Policy Forum, a non-profit group that brings together experts to advise on significant policy issues.

Canada needs strategy reboot at a time of geopolitical turmoil: former ambassadors

Conservatives deny link to protesters that harassed Singh after Liberals blame them

Conservatives deny link to protesters that harassed Singh after Liberals blame them
Conservatives are denying any association with protesters who harassed Jagmeet Singh, among others, outside of Parliament Hill this week after Liberal ministers accused them of lending their support.  A video circulated online Tuesday showing two men following the NDP leader, as one of them appears to call him a "corrupted bastard."

Conservatives deny link to protesters that harassed Singh after Liberals blame them

Canada's physicians formally apologize for harm to Indigenous communities

Canada's physicians formally apologize for harm to Indigenous communities
At an apology ceremony in Victoria attended by representatives from the First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities, the Canadian Medical Association says it is sorry that it has lost the trust of Indigenous communities and has committed to righting its wrongs.

Canada's physicians formally apologize for harm to Indigenous communities

Bitcoin scam in North Vancouver

Bitcoin scam in North Vancouver
Mounties in North Vancouver are warning the public about an extortion scam involving bitcoin after receiving multiple reports over the last two days. Police say it involves scammers who claim to have compromising photos of the victim and demand to be paid in Bitcoin with the threat of sharing the images.

Bitcoin scam in North Vancouver

Canada abstains from UN motion calling on Israel to end occupation of Gaza, West Bank

Canada abstains from UN motion calling on Israel to end occupation of Gaza, West Bank
Canada abstained today from a high-profile United Nations vote demanding that Israel end its "unlawful presence" in the Gaza Strip and the occupied West Bank within a year. Canada's ambassador to the United Nations, Bob Rae, told the assembly the motion was too one-sided to support, though he said Ottawa agrees that Israel is illegally occupying Palestinian territories.

Canada abstains from UN motion calling on Israel to end occupation of Gaza, West Bank

Canadian Coast Guard crew member lost at sea off Newfoundland

Canadian Coast Guard crew member lost at sea off Newfoundland
A crew member of a Canadian Coast Guard ship has been lost at sea off southern Newfoundland. The agency said in a release Wednesday that an extensive search and rescue effort for the man was ended Tuesday evening.

Canadian Coast Guard crew member lost at sea off Newfoundland