Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada says it respects Mexican sovereignty, amid constitutional reform controversy

Canada says it respects Mexican sovereignty, amid constitutional reform controversy
Global Affairs Canada says the federal government respects Mexican sovereignty and has no intention of intervening in that country's internal affairs around proposed constitutional reforms. The comments come a day after Mexico's president told reporters Tuesday he has put relations with the Canadian and U.S. embassies "on pause" because of comments from the two countries about a proposed judicial overhaul.

Canada says it respects Mexican sovereignty, amid constitutional reform controversy

'Tornadoes over water' seen across Eastern Canada this summer

'Tornadoes over water' seen across Eastern Canada this summer
Marc-André Bourgeois-Gaudet was in his boat off the shores of Îles-de-la-Madeleine, Que., last Friday when he saw several funnel clouds descending from the sky like tornadoes. As he got closer, the rain started falling harder than anything he'd ever experienced, he said. "It was like having a waterfall fall on my head."

'Tornadoes over water' seen across Eastern Canada this summer

Poilievre urges Singh to end NDP deal with Liberals, force fall election

Poilievre urges Singh to end NDP deal with Liberals, force fall election
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is asking the New Democrats and Bloc Québécois to stop supporting the minority government and force an early election, saying Liberal policies are making life less affordable for Canadians. Poilievre called for the other opposition parties to vote non-confidence in the government when the House of Commons resumes next month. 

Poilievre urges Singh to end NDP deal with Liberals, force fall election

Incumbent BC United MLAs ponder futures as Conservatives after party demise

Incumbent BC United MLAs ponder futures as Conservatives after party demise
The political landscape in British Columbia has shifted with John Rustad's Conservatives now carrying the centre-right banner heading into a fall election campaign. BC United Leader Kevin Falcon's decision to pull his party from the upcoming campaign has opened the province to a clear left-versus-right choice for voters, but almost two dozen incumbent BC United politicians are now pondering their futures.

Incumbent BC United MLAs ponder futures as Conservatives after party demise

Cybersafety needs to be a priority for school aged kids: Coquitlam RCMP

Cybersafety needs to be a priority for school aged kids: Coquitlam RCMP
The Coquitlam R-C-M-P is urging parents to be mindful of what information about their children they share online. The Mounties say while sharing a back-to-school photo can be exciting, it could also give away important and private information without intention.

Cybersafety needs to be a priority for school aged kids: Coquitlam RCMP

Anti theft measures at Tim Hortons

Anti theft measures at Tim Hortons
A Tim Hortons location in Vancouver's Chinatown neighbourhood has removed most of the furniture from its dining area. The coffee shop is moving to a standing-room style of service as other stores in the city make changes of their own to discourage theft.

Anti theft measures at Tim Hortons