Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests
The Canadian government has updated its travel advisory for the United Kingdom amid a rash of ongoing demonstrations. It says visitors should "exercise a high degree of caution" in the country and takes note of demonstrations and violent clashes between protesters and police over the past week. 

Canada says travellers should exercise 'high degree of caution' in U.K. amid protests

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson
Mounties in Burnaby say a suspect has now been charged for an arson that happened in 2023. Police say a 33-year-old man is accused of setting fire to a loading bay at a business in Metrotown mall in February last year.

Man charged in Metrotown mall arson

IHIT identifies victim in Langley shooting

IHIT identifies victim in Langley shooting
Homicide investigators are identifying the victim of a deadly shooting in Langley earlier this month in the hopes to further their investigation. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 41-year-old Dillan Unger of Langley was the person killed on August 2nd. 

IHIT identifies victim in Langley shooting

Massive Vancouver blaze that likely caused crane collapse is contained: Fire service

Massive Vancouver blaze that likely caused crane collapse is contained: Fire service
Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services says it has extinguished a blaze that destroyed an apartment building under construction, damaged nine nearby homes and appears to have caused a crane to collapse. The fire in Vancouver's west side broke out late Tuesday in a six-story building and spread to several nearby houses. 

Massive Vancouver blaze that likely caused crane collapse is contained: Fire service

Audit of BC Timber Sales program finds issues with road and bridge maintenance

Audit of BC Timber Sales program finds issues with road and bridge maintenance
The Forest Practices Board says an audit of the BC Timber Sales program and timber sales license holders in the Boundary region found "significant issues" with road and bridge maintenance. It says the board conducted a "full scope compliance audit" of all activities between June 2022 and June 2023 in the Kootenay Business Area in south-central B.C. along Highway 3.

Audit of BC Timber Sales program finds issues with road and bridge maintenance

B.C. to see a return to seasonable temperatures, but wildfire risk remains

B.C. to see a return to seasonable temperatures, but wildfire risk remains
The director of provincial operations for the BC Wildfire Service says the province has seen about 10,000 lightning strikes over the last seven days, primarily in the Kamloops Fire Centre and Southeast Fire Centres. Cliff Chapman says because B.C. had a hot and dry July, those lightning strikes have the ability and the fuel to start new fires.

B.C. to see a return to seasonable temperatures, but wildfire risk remains