Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

Hot long weekend ahead

Hot long weekend ahead
Drivers are being warned ahead of the upcoming long weekend that lengthy trips and hot temperatures can be a dangerous combination leading to fatigue. The I-C-B-C says even a slight reduction in reaction time can significantly increase the risk of crashing.

Hot long weekend ahead

Man stabbed in New Westminster

Man stabbed in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are looking for witnesses after a man was stabbed downtown on Monday night. Police say a witness flagged down an officer outside the police station to report someone in distress and officers found the man bleeding from his abdomen.

Man stabbed in New Westminster

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP
A father and son who were allegedly planning a violent attack in Toronto and had links to the Islamic State group are facing terrorism related charges, the RCMP said Wednesday. The two were arrested at a hotel in Richmond Hill, Ont., on the weekend, and were in possession of an axe and a machete, the Mounties said. 

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator
The case involved a B.C. couple, Thalbinder Singh Poonian and Shailu Poonian, who were ordered by the British Columbia Securities Commission to pay $13.5 million in administrative penalties and $5.6 million to repay those who lost money in a market manipulation scheme that "caused vulnerable investors to lose millions of dollars."

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected
A fire rampaging through Jasper National Park remained out of control Wednesday, while officials worked to restore power and water in the park's townsite and to hash out a plan for vacationers to retrieve their stranded camping trailers.

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River
A landslide blocking a river in British Columbia's central Interior has injured a man and prompted the Cariboo Regional District to issue evacuation orders due to "immediate danger to life and safety" caused by flooding triggered by the slide. The two evacuation orders span 107 square kilometres along the Chilcotin River southwest of the City of Williams Lake.

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River