Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

Wildfire update planned in B.C. as crews battle about 350 blazes

Wildfire update planned in B.C. as crews battle about 350 blazes
British Columbia's minister of emergency management is scheduled to give an update on the wildfire situation today as some areas in the province cool off while others flare. Bowinn Ma and Forests Minister Bruce Ralston will be joined by staff from the province to give an overview of the wildfire trouble spots in B.C. 

Wildfire update planned in B.C. as crews battle about 350 blazes

Third BC United MLA set to go to B.C.'s Conservatives

Third BC United MLA set to go to B.C.'s Conservatives
BC United Leader Kevin Falcon is losing a third member of the legislature to the Conservative Party of British Columbia. BC United's director of communications Adam Wilson says in a statement that Teresa Wat, who represents the riding of Richmond North Centre, has indicated her intention to join John Rustad's B.C. Conservatives.

Third BC United MLA set to go to B.C.'s Conservatives

Parks Canada, Guilbeault defend wildfire preparation policies after Jasper blaze

Parks Canada, Guilbeault defend wildfire preparation policies after Jasper blaze
Parks Canada officials and politicians angrily denied Monday that forest management policies in Jasper National Park contributed to a catastrophic wildfire that damaged one-third of the townsite. Ron Hallman, CEO of the federal agency, said it was "ridiculous" to assert his organization puts a higher value on nature than people.

Parks Canada, Guilbeault defend wildfire preparation policies after Jasper blaze

Internal federal public service report details racism in the Privy Council Office

Internal federal public service report details racism in the Privy Council Office
The Coalition Against Workplace Discrimination obtained the report using the Access to Information Act. It details barriers for employees of colour at the Privy Council Office, the administrative arm of government that serves the Prime Minister's Office and cabinet. The conclusions were based on group discussions and interviews with employees in 2021 and 2022.

Internal federal public service report details racism in the Privy Council Office

WestJet, Air North announce deal for single-ticket travel involving both airlines

WestJet, Air North announce deal for single-ticket travel involving both airlines
WestJet and Whitehorse-based Air North have announced a new agreement that will allow single-ticket travel across both airlines' networks. A statement from WestJet says the new "interline agreement" allows passengers to book a single ticket with a connected itinerary between WestJet's network and the Yukon and Northwest Territories.

WestJet, Air North announce deal for single-ticket travel involving both airlines

Woman rescued off B.C. glacier calls those who braved smoky conditions 'superheroes'

Woman rescued off B.C. glacier calls those who braved smoky conditions 'superheroes'
Mark Jennings-Bates, with the Kaslo Search and Rescue, says a skilled helicopter pilot was able to navigate the winds and thick smoke to rescue the hikers from the side of an alpine lake. He says the four were well prepared and used an iPhone's emergency SOS feature to provide rescuers with their precise location.

Woman rescued off B.C. glacier calls those who braved smoky conditions 'superheroes'