Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. police seek witnesses, video of 93-year-old woman being pushed in front of bus

B.C. police seek witnesses, video of 93-year-old woman being pushed in front of bus
Mounties in Penticton are looking for witnesses after they say a 93-year-old woman was pushed in front of a moving city bus. Police received a report around 11 a.m. on Wednesday that a woman pushing a cart full of belongings "forcefully pushed" the elderly woman into the path of the bus as it left a stop near Calgary Avenue and Main Street.

B.C. police seek witnesses, video of 93-year-old woman being pushed in front of bus

Wildfire that forced thousands from Fort Nelson now listed as under control

Wildfire that forced thousands from Fort Nelson now listed as under control
The wildfire that forced 4,700 people to leave their homes in Fort Nelson, B.C., is now listed as under control. The BC Wildfire Service says in a social media statement that the 123-square-kilometre fire in northeastern B.C. is not expected to grow beyond its current boundary. 

Wildfire that forced thousands from Fort Nelson now listed as under control

RCMP, B.C. Securities Commission deliver warnings to 10 suspected 'money mules'

RCMP, B.C. Securities Commission deliver warnings to 10 suspected 'money mules'
Police and the British Columbia Securities Commission say they have delivered warnings to 10 suspected "money mules" in an effort to fight investment fraud originating overseas and targeting people in the province. A joint statement issued by the commission and RCMP says investigators have hand-delivered warning letters to people in Metro Vancouver who were suspected of transferring funds on behalf of criminals.

RCMP, B.C. Securities Commission deliver warnings to 10 suspected 'money mules'

Seaplane collides with boat, crashes into Vancouver's Coal Harbour

Seaplane collides with boat, crashes into Vancouver's Coal Harbour
A seaplane collided with a pleasure boat on Vancouver's downtown Coal Harbour waterfront Saturday, injuring a number of passengers on both craft. The crash happened just before 1 p.m. in the waters near Canada Place, Vancouver Police spokeswoman Const. Tania Visintin said in a statement.

Seaplane collides with boat, crashes into Vancouver's Coal Harbour

Foreign meddling inquiry must investigate allegations against MPs: opposition parties

Foreign meddling inquiry must investigate allegations against MPs: opposition parties
Federal opposition parties say a public inquiry into foreign interference must address findings that some MPs "wittingly" participated in meddling.  The House of Commons is set to vote on a Bloc Québécois motion that says the mandate of the inquiry should be expanded.

Foreign meddling inquiry must investigate allegations against MPs: opposition parties

'Incredibly impressed': Calgary mayor applauds reduced water use after pipeline break

'Incredibly impressed': Calgary mayor applauds reduced water use after pipeline break
Calgarians stepped up over the weekend to reduce their water use after a major water main break last week. Mayor Jyoti Gondek said Monday the city used about 30 per cent less water than it did before the break happened.

'Incredibly impressed': Calgary mayor applauds reduced water use after pipeline break