Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

Missing kayaker found dead

Missing kayaker found dead
Mounties in Prince George say a kayaker reported missing on Monday is dead. They say the man's body was found yesterday after a search involving police officers, local search and rescue volunteers and an R-C-M-P helicopter.

Missing kayaker found dead

NDP slam Liberals for slow reunification programs for relatives stuck in Gaza, Sudan

NDP slam Liberals for slow reunification programs for relatives stuck in Gaza, Sudan
The NDP has accused the government of bungling measures introduced months ago that were meant to bring relatives of Canadians from conflict zones in Sudan and the Gaza Strip to safety.

NDP slam Liberals for slow reunification programs for relatives stuck in Gaza, Sudan

New bill would let Canadians to pass citizenship rights down to children born abroad

New bill would let Canadians to pass citizenship rights down to children born abroad
A new government bill tabled in the House of Commons on Thursday would allow Canadians to pass citizenship rights down to their children born outside the country — a move that would add an unknown number of new citizens. In 2009, former Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper's government changed the law so that Canadian parents who were born abroad could not pass down their citizenship, unless their child was born in Canada.  

New bill would let Canadians to pass citizenship rights down to children born abroad

Sikh community to be present at court hearings for late activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar

Sikh community to be present at court hearings for late activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar
The spokesman for the B-C Gurdwaras Council says members of the Sikh community will likely be at all court hearings for the four men accused of assassinating Hardeep Singh Nijjar last June. Moninder Singh with the council says he and others plan on showing up to the courthouse to support the activist’s family, and to show the Indian government that they won’t stay quiet in the face of violence.

Sikh community to be present at court hearings for late activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar

Trudeau: International Criminal Court push to prosecute Israel and Hamas 'unhelpful'

Trudeau: International Criminal Court push to prosecute Israel and Hamas 'unhelpful'
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau opted against taking a stance on a push from the International Criminal Court to prosecute the Israeli prime minister and Hamas leaders over the war in the Gaza Strip Tuesday. The court's chief prosecutor requested arrest warrants Monday for Benjamin Netanyahu, his defence minister and senior Hamas leaders.

Trudeau: International Criminal Court push to prosecute Israel and Hamas 'unhelpful'

London Drugs says it's unwilling to pay ransom demanded by hackers

London Drugs says it's unwilling to pay ransom demanded by hackers
Retailer London Drugs says it is "unwilling and unable" to pay a multimillion-dollar ransom to cybercriminals who claim to have stolen data in a hacking attack that recently shut down its stores for more than a week. The company says in a statement that the criminals could leak stolen corporate files containing employee information on the dark web, calling the situation "deeply distressing."

London Drugs says it's unwilling to pay ransom demanded by hackers