Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

Saskatchewan education minister considering school year extension amid teachers vote

Saskatchewan education minister considering school year extension amid teachers vote
Saskatchewan's education minister is being accused of trying to influence a teachers vote after saying he's not ruling out extending the school year should educators reject his offer and take job action. 

Saskatchewan education minister considering school year extension amid teachers vote

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin
The Alberta Utilities Commission is fining another electricity generator that powered bitcoin mining for operating without a licence. 

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video
One of the Indian nationals accused of murdering British Columbia Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar says in a social media video that he received a Canadian study permit with the help of an Indian immigration consultancy. In the Facebook video posted in December 2019 by EthicWorks Immigration Services and first reported by Global News, Karan Brar says his "study visa has arrived," while a photo shows him holding up what appears to be a passport with a Canadian study permit inside.

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026
Most British Columbia drivers will get a vehicle insurance rebate of $110 this year and basic renewal rates will remain frozen until at least March 2026. The Crown-owned Insurance Corporation of B.C. is in good financial shape and in a position to offer rebates totalling $400 million, Premier David Eby said Wednesday at a news conference that began to the strain's of AC/DC's "Back In Black," a reference to the corporation's financial position.

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism
Quebec Premier François Legault is defending his comments about a new history museum after he was accused by a prominent First Nations group of trying to erase their history.

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken
The president of London Drugs has issued a letter apologizing for a cybersecurity incident that forced the company to close stores for more than a week, but he says there's no evidence customer databases were compromised.

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken