Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

Former Manitoba premier Heather Stefanson leaving politics after 23 years

Former Manitoba premier Heather Stefanson leaving politics after 23 years
Former Manitoba premier Heather Stefanson is resigning her legislature seat and leaving political life.

Former Manitoba premier Heather Stefanson leaving politics after 23 years

Surrey Vaisakhi parade draws 550,000

Surrey Vaisakhi parade draws 550,000
One of the most anticipated multicultural events of the Lower Mainland the Surrey Vaisakhi Parade was celebrated over the weekend. Canada’s largest Vaisakhi Parade outside of Punjab, India took place on Saturday, April 20th, in Surrey, and was attended by 550,000 people. 

Surrey Vaisakhi parade draws 550,000

Poll suggests half of Canadians have negative opinion of latest Liberal budget

Poll suggests half of Canadians have negative opinion of latest Liberal budget
A new poll suggests the Liberals have not won over voters with their latest budget, though there is broad support for their plan to build millions of homes. Just shy of half the respondents to Leger's latest survey said they had a negative opinion of the federal budget, which was presented last Tuesday. 

Poll suggests half of Canadians have negative opinion of latest Liberal budget

B.C. places online harms bill on hold after agreement with Meta, X, TikTok, Snapchat

B.C. places online harms bill on hold after agreement with Meta, X, TikTok, Snapchat
British Columbia has placed its proposed online harms legislation on hold after reaching an agreement with social media companies to "sit down in good faith" to find solutions on keeping people safer online.  Premier David Eby said the proposed legislation remains, and the province will reactivate it into law if necessary.

B.C. places online harms bill on hold after agreement with Meta, X, TikTok, Snapchat

B.C. government to set out housing targets for 20 more communities

B.C. government to set out housing targets for 20 more communities
The British Columbia government has named another 20 cities and towns as priority communities for housing targets over the next five years. The government says in a statement the communities are in high-growth, high-need regions of B.C.   

B.C. government to set out housing targets for 20 more communities

B.C. government sets November date for Surrey police transition

B.C. government sets November date for Surrey police transition
British Columbia's government has set Nov. 29 as the date when the Surrey Police Service will take over from the RCMP as the city's force of jurisdiction. Solicitor General Mike Farnworth says Surrey RCMP will continue to operate and provide support after the official transition, although the Mounties will determine what type of support will be offered.

B.C. government sets November date for Surrey police transition