Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

10 years in U.S. prison for Canadian man who stole millions with fake psychic fraud

10 years in U.S. prison for Canadian man who stole millions with fake psychic fraud
A former Montreal resident has been sentenced to 10 years in a United States federal prison for a multi-decade fraud that manipulated more than one million Americans into sending money to fake psychics.  The U.S. Justice Department says Patrice Runner, 57, stole more than $175 million from 1.3 million people in the U.S. between 1994 and 2014.

10 years in U.S. prison for Canadian man who stole millions with fake psychic fraud

All federal ministers will participate in process to find 5,000 jobs to cut: Anand

All federal ministers will participate in process to find 5,000 jobs to cut: Anand
Treasury Board President Anita Anand says no government ministry and agency will be left out of the process of cutting 5,000 public-service positions. The 2024 budget, tabled Tuesday, says 5,000 positions will be cut through natural attrition, which is expected to save $4.2 billion over five years. The main union representing federal workers is raising concerns.

All federal ministers will participate in process to find 5,000 jobs to cut: Anand

YVR named best airport in North America

YVR named best airport in North America
The Vancouver International Airport has won the title of best airport in North America at an international award ceremony in Germany.  The airport says it took the prize at the Skytrax World Airport Awards held in Frankfurt. 

YVR named best airport in North America

Northern Health employees pose as fraudsters

Northern Health employees pose as fraudsters
Police in Prince George say fraudsters are posing as Northern Health employees and going door to door.  R-C-M-P say they're investigating reports of people claiming to be Northern Health or Fire Smart employees, two weeks after the health authority warned the public about fraudulent phone calls promising prizes or a free home safety inspection. 

Northern Health employees pose as fraudsters

New robot assisted surgery coming for Burnaby General Hospital and Fraser Health

New robot assisted surgery coming for Burnaby General Hospital and Fraser Health
Burnaby Hospital and Fraser Health say a new robot assisted surgery system is set to be put into action, the first in Western Canada.  The Burnaby Hospital Foundation and the health authority say teams are now training on the Mako Robotic-Arm Assisted, a 2.3 three million dollar addition to the hospital's Jim Pattison Surgery Centre. 

New robot assisted surgery coming for Burnaby General Hospital and Fraser Health

Arrest made in last year's over 20M gold heist at Toronto's Pearson airport

Arrest made in last year's over 20M gold heist at Toronto's Pearson airport
Police have charged nine people in the Hollywood movie-worthy heist of nearly 24-million dollars in cash and gold one year ago today at Toronto's Pearson airport. They include two men who worked for Air Canada and an alleged gun trafficker.

Arrest made in last year's over 20M gold heist at Toronto's Pearson airport