Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

Calm in housing market this spring

Calm in housing market this spring
The B-C Real Estate Association says the province's housing market is staying relatively calm this spring. The association says sales were up more than 15 per cent last month compared to February 2023.

Calm in housing market this spring

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather
The British Columbia government says farmers will get an extra $70 million to replant and strengthen fruit orchards and vineyards after two years of weather-related disasters. Premier David Eby says the funding will boost the province's existing $15 million Perennial Crop Renewal Program, launched last spring to help more than 200 farmers replace diseased and unproductive plants.

B.C. orchards and vineyards to get $70M to replant after disastrous weather

Historic transportation investment for Surrey

Historic transportation investment for Surrey
Surrey has approved what city council is calling its biggest municipal transportation investment in history. The council has approved a 138-million-dollar extension of 72 Avenue from 152 Street to Highway 15, a roughly 4-kilometre stretch.

Historic transportation investment for Surrey

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer
Fewer than half of Canadians believe the federal government's plan to regulate social media sites will make platforms safer, a new survey suggests. Polling firm Leger recently asked Canadians about the Liberal government's proposed Online Harms Act, which contains a suite of measures meant to make social media platforms safer, particularly for children.

Poll: Canadians unsure online harms bill will make social media safer

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust
Police in Port Hardy say they've arrested six people in a drug investigation after seizing guns, and suspected fentanyl and cocaine, after executing a pair of search warrants over the weekend. Port Hardy R-C-M-P say there's been a recent uptick in overdose deaths in the north island community. 

6 people arrested in Port Hardy drug bust

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man
Police in Surrey say a 38-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder, 18 months after the shooting death of 37-year-old Troy Michael Regnier.  Surrey R-C-M-P say the B-C Prosecution Service has charged Justin Bos in Regnier's death.  

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man