Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

Navinder Gill sentenced to life in prison for December 2022 homicide of Harpreet Kaur Gill in Surrey

Navinder Gill sentenced to life in prison for December 2022 homicide of Harpreet Kaur Gill in Surrey
On December 7, 2022, at 9:22 p.m. the Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a stabbing in the 12700-block of 66 Avenue, Surrey. Officers attended and found a 40-year old woman, later identified as Harpreet Kaur Gill, in medical distress, resulting from multiple stab wounds.

Navinder Gill sentenced to life in prison for December 2022 homicide of Harpreet Kaur Gill in Surrey

Woman, 45, killed in hit-and-run, RCMP say suspect still at large

Woman, 45, killed in hit-and-run, RCMP say suspect still at large
RCMP say a 45-year-old woman was killed while officers chased a man fleeing in a vehicle late Saturday night just outside of Edmonton. Supt. Leanne MacMillian says Beaumont RCMP located the suspect in a parked truck at a local business in Beaumont, about 25 kilometres south of Edmonton.

Woman, 45, killed in hit-and-run, RCMP say suspect still at large

Surrey RCMP need the public’s assistance in locating missing woman Navdeep Kaur. 

Surrey RCMP need the public’s assistance in locating missing woman Navdeep Kaur. 
Surrey RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance in locating a missing female. Kaur is described as a 28 year old south Asian female, 5’5”, 125 lbs, with black long hair and brown eyes. Police and family are concerned for her health and well-being.

Surrey RCMP need the public’s assistance in locating missing woman Navdeep Kaur. 

$15 million to combat car thefts: Feds

$15 million to combat car thefts: Feds
The federal government is committing an additional $15 million over three years to fight the rise in vehicle thefts across the country. Minister of Public Safety Dominic LeBlanc made the announcement today in Montreal.

$15 million to combat car thefts: Feds

Man arrested for robbing blind, homeless man in Vancouver, police say

Man arrested for robbing blind, homeless man in Vancouver, police say
Police in Vancouver say a 37-year-old man has been charged over accusations he robbed a blind, homeless man of his cane earlier this week. They say the victim is a 40-year-old newcomer to Canada who is legally blind and has been sleeping in shelters for the past few weeks.

Man arrested for robbing blind, homeless man in Vancouver, police say

No cuts to people or services, but B.C. budget deficit to rise, finance minister says

No cuts to people or services, but B.C. budget deficit to rise, finance minister says
British Columbia Finance Minister Katrine Conroy says the budget she tables on Thursday will protect services and won't  raise taxes for ordinary residents, but she also forecasts an increased deficit because "it's the right thing to do."  The minister says the time is not right for the NDP government to bring cuts when most people are facing rising costs for housing, food and other daily staples.

No cuts to people or services, but B.C. budget deficit to rise, finance minister says