Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Police are looking for a suspect in a shooting that injured three people and caused an hours-long lockdown at West Edmonton Mall last year.

Officers responded in August 2023 to an exchange of gunfire between two groups in the mall parkade, and police say it was targeted. 

Three men involved in the shooting were hurt. 

Police say a Canada-wide warrant was been issued for Leron Andrew John on several firearms charges. 

The 24-year-old has been added to Canada's 25 Most Wanted list compiled by BOLO, a federal program that helps police find suspects. 

Police say he has ties to Edmonton and the Northwest Territories, where he's wanted on more firearms and drug charges. 

“Our Firearms Investigations Unit officers are working with the BOLO program to help locate Leron John for his role in a brazen outdoor shooting that took place at one of the world’s busiest shopping malls during daylight hours," Staff Sgt. Eric Stewart, with the Edmonton police guns and gangs unit, said in a news release. 

“Numerous civilian vehicles were struck, a stray bullet travelled five blocks and struck a parked vehicle in a residential area near playgrounds and a school, and this shooting event was the catalyst for a lockdown event at West Edmonton Mall that caused people to have to shelter in place for hours while a police tactical unit cleared the facility."

MORE National ARTICLES

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou
Sources in the Official Opposition BC United party have leaked a file on the "extremism" of the B.C. Conservatives' executive director, Angelo Isidorou, less than two weeks after the parties' leaders announced a deal to work together.

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions
Former fashion mogul Peter Nygard is a "sexual predator" who showed no empathy for his victims, an Ontario judge said Monday as he sentenced the disgraced tycoon to 11 years in prison for his crimes in Toronto. The 83-year-old's time behind bars will work out to a little less than seven years after accounting for credit he received for time already spent in custody, and Nygard will be eligible to apply for parole in just over two years. 

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions

Mark Carney to lead Liberal economic task force ahead of next election

Mark Carney to lead Liberal economic task force ahead of next election
Former Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney will chair a Liberal task force on economic growth. The appointment was announced as Liberal MPs gathered in Nanaimo, B.C. today to plot their strategy for the coming election year.

Mark Carney to lead Liberal economic task force ahead of next election

Air quality advisory issued in central, northeastern B.C. as wildfires persist

Air quality advisory issued in central, northeastern B.C. as wildfires persist
Wildfire smoke has prompted Environment Canada to issue an air-quality advisory for several regions in central and northeastern British Columbia. The weather office says pollution levels are either expected or occurring in the region, and are likely to persist for the next 24 to 48 hours.

Air quality advisory issued in central, northeastern B.C. as wildfires persist

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says
Health Minister Mark Holland says more than four-fifths of dental providers are now participating in his government's dental-care program, and some 600,000 Canadians have taken advantage of it. The update comes a month after the minister touted a 75 per cent participation rate.

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says

Single vehicle collision in Delta

Single vehicle collision in Delta
Delta police say they are investigating a single vehicle collision that sent one person to hospital with serious injuries Sunday morning. James Sandberg, acting inspector with Delta Police, says officers responded to a call around 4 a.m. Saturday morning about a vehicle collision on Highway 17 where they found one person with serious injuries.

Single vehicle collision in Delta