Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Police are looking for a suspect in a shooting that injured three people and caused an hours-long lockdown at West Edmonton Mall last year.

Officers responded in August 2023 to an exchange of gunfire between two groups in the mall parkade, and police say it was targeted. 

Three men involved in the shooting were hurt. 

Police say a Canada-wide warrant was been issued for Leron Andrew John on several firearms charges. 

The 24-year-old has been added to Canada's 25 Most Wanted list compiled by BOLO, a federal program that helps police find suspects. 

Police say he has ties to Edmonton and the Northwest Territories, where he's wanted on more firearms and drug charges. 

“Our Firearms Investigations Unit officers are working with the BOLO program to help locate Leron John for his role in a brazen outdoor shooting that took place at one of the world’s busiest shopping malls during daylight hours," Staff Sgt. Eric Stewart, with the Edmonton police guns and gangs unit, said in a news release. 

“Numerous civilian vehicles were struck, a stray bullet travelled five blocks and struck a parked vehicle in a residential area near playgrounds and a school, and this shooting event was the catalyst for a lockdown event at West Edmonton Mall that caused people to have to shelter in place for hours while a police tactical unit cleared the facility."

MORE National ARTICLES

Hot long weekend ahead

Hot long weekend ahead
Drivers are being warned ahead of the upcoming long weekend that lengthy trips and hot temperatures can be a dangerous combination leading to fatigue. The I-C-B-C says even a slight reduction in reaction time can significantly increase the risk of crashing.

Hot long weekend ahead

Man stabbed in New Westminster

Man stabbed in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are looking for witnesses after a man was stabbed downtown on Monday night. Police say a witness flagged down an officer outside the police station to report someone in distress and officers found the man bleeding from his abdomen.

Man stabbed in New Westminster

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP
A father and son who were allegedly planning a violent attack in Toronto and had links to the Islamic State group are facing terrorism related charges, the RCMP said Wednesday. The two were arrested at a hotel in Richmond Hill, Ont., on the weekend, and were in possession of an axe and a machete, the Mounties said. 

Father, son facing terror charges allegedly planning violent Toronto attack: RCMP

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator
The case involved a B.C. couple, Thalbinder Singh Poonian and Shailu Poonian, who were ordered by the British Columbia Securities Commission to pay $13.5 million in administrative penalties and $5.6 million to repay those who lost money in a market manipulation scheme that "caused vulnerable investors to lose millions of dollars."

B.C. couple partially victorious in bankruptcy fight with securities regulator

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected
A fire rampaging through Jasper National Park remained out of control Wednesday, while officials worked to restore power and water in the park's townsite and to hash out a plan for vacationers to retrieve their stranded camping trailers.

'Not out of the woods': Jasper wildfire still out of control, hotter weather expected

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River
A landslide blocking a river in British Columbia's central Interior has injured a man and prompted the Cariboo Regional District to issue evacuation orders due to "immediate danger to life and safety" caused by flooding triggered by the slide. The two evacuation orders span 107 square kilometres along the Chilcotin River southwest of the City of Williams Lake.

Landslide sets off evacuation order for those living along B.C.'s Chilcotin River