Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Police are looking for a suspect in a shooting that injured three people and caused an hours-long lockdown at West Edmonton Mall last year.

Officers responded in August 2023 to an exchange of gunfire between two groups in the mall parkade, and police say it was targeted. 

Three men involved in the shooting were hurt. 

Police say a Canada-wide warrant was been issued for Leron Andrew John on several firearms charges. 

The 24-year-old has been added to Canada's 25 Most Wanted list compiled by BOLO, a federal program that helps police find suspects. 

Police say he has ties to Edmonton and the Northwest Territories, where he's wanted on more firearms and drug charges. 

“Our Firearms Investigations Unit officers are working with the BOLO program to help locate Leron John for his role in a brazen outdoor shooting that took place at one of the world’s busiest shopping malls during daylight hours," Staff Sgt. Eric Stewart, with the Edmonton police guns and gangs unit, said in a news release. 

“Numerous civilian vehicles were struck, a stray bullet travelled five blocks and struck a parked vehicle in a residential area near playgrounds and a school, and this shooting event was the catalyst for a lockdown event at West Edmonton Mall that caused people to have to shelter in place for hours while a police tactical unit cleared the facility."

MORE National ARTICLES

'Major damage': Vandalism at federal immigration minister's office in Montreal

'Major damage': Vandalism at federal immigration minister's office in Montreal
Police say the Montreal constituency office of federal Immigration Minister Marc Miller was vandalized overnight. Outside, windows were smashed and walls were defaced with paint and graffiti.

'Major damage': Vandalism at federal immigration minister's office in Montreal

Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan leaving cabinet, Trudeau confirms

Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan leaving cabinet, Trudeau confirms
Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan is stepping down from cabinet and will not be seeking re-election in the next federal contest, the Prime Minister's Office confirmed Thursday. A statement from that office said a replacement for O'Regan would be sworn in at Rideau Hall on Friday. 

Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan leaving cabinet, Trudeau confirms

''Tactical evacuations' as B.C. Interior wildfire grows: minister

''Tactical evacuations' as B.C. Interior wildfire grows: minister
British Columbia's minister for emergency management says "tactical evacuations" have been carried out in the Thompson-Nicola area of the province's Interior, where an out-of-control wildfire is threatening communities. Bowinn Ma told a news briefing in Kamloops that the Shetland Creek fire grew "quickly and considerably last night."

''Tactical evacuations' as B.C. Interior wildfire grows: minister

Door to door pranks in Surrey

Door to door pranks in Surrey
Mounties in Surrey are investigating door-knock pranks after multiple residences were damaged. Police say a decades-old prank known as Nicky nicky nine doors, has devolved into cases of harassment and mischief as an ongoing frenzy of pranks takes place in the neighbourhoods of Newton and South Surrey.

Door to door pranks in Surrey

27 heat records broken for BC

27 heat records broken for BC
Environment Canada says B-C broke or tied at least 27 daily heat records Wednesday. Lytton in the Fraser Canyon was the hottest spot in the province at 42 degrees, shattering the 2009 record of 35.3 degrees. 

27 heat records broken for BC

Years after Insite ruling, drug policy landscape is still being shaped in B.C.

Years after Insite ruling, drug policy landscape is still being shaped in B.C.
In 2021, the Vancouver-based Drug User Liberation Front approached Health Canada with a proposal. Health Canada rejected the application for exemption from drug laws, saying DULF's plan presented too many public health and safety risks — but the group went ahead with it anyway, saying it would save lives.

Years after Insite ruling, drug policy landscape is still being shaped in B.C.