Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Police are looking for a suspect in a shooting that injured three people and caused an hours-long lockdown at West Edmonton Mall last year.

Officers responded in August 2023 to an exchange of gunfire between two groups in the mall parkade, and police say it was targeted. 

Three men involved in the shooting were hurt. 

Police say a Canada-wide warrant was been issued for Leron Andrew John on several firearms charges. 

The 24-year-old has been added to Canada's 25 Most Wanted list compiled by BOLO, a federal program that helps police find suspects. 

Police say he has ties to Edmonton and the Northwest Territories, where he's wanted on more firearms and drug charges. 

“Our Firearms Investigations Unit officers are working with the BOLO program to help locate Leron John for his role in a brazen outdoor shooting that took place at one of the world’s busiest shopping malls during daylight hours," Staff Sgt. Eric Stewart, with the Edmonton police guns and gangs unit, said in a news release. 

“Numerous civilian vehicles were struck, a stray bullet travelled five blocks and struck a parked vehicle in a residential area near playgrounds and a school, and this shooting event was the catalyst for a lockdown event at West Edmonton Mall that caused people to have to shelter in place for hours while a police tactical unit cleared the facility."

MORE National ARTICLES

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74
Former CBC radio journalist and personality Rick Cluff, who was the longtime host of The Early Edition morning show in Vancouver, has died at the age of 74. The public broadcaster says Cluff died shortly after being diagnosed with cancer.

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content
In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver
Two individuals involved in a series of complex shoplifting cases in Metro Vancouver have pleaded guilty and were sentenced for their roles. Surrey Mounties say 51-year-old Nicoleta Rusu and 39-year-old Emil Marian Stan stole goods such as high-end fragrances and athletic clothing valued at 53-thousand dollars over a six-month span.

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver

Road rage incident in Richmond

Road rage incident in Richmond
Police in Richmond are on the lookout after a road rage incident resulted in the occupant of one car opening fire on the driver of another vehicle. Richmond R-C-M-P say they responded to a call of shots fired on Hollybridge Way on the evening of June 28th.

Road rage incident in Richmond

Sixteen-year-old girl dies after fentanyl overdose in Prince George: RCMP

Sixteen-year-old girl dies after fentanyl overdose in Prince George: RCMP
Police in Prince George say a 16-year old girl who was taken to hospital last week after a drug overdose has died. Prince George RCMP's Serious Crime Unit is investigating and says the girl appears to have been targeted by a fentanyl trafficker.

Sixteen-year-old girl dies after fentanyl overdose in Prince George: RCMP

Five years after historic tobacco ruling, 'nothing has changed'

Five years after historic tobacco ruling, 'nothing has changed'
Several health advocacy groups have also sounded the alarm about the lack of movement and transparency in the case, warning Canada could miss out on what they call a historic opportunity to reduce tobacco use and regulate the industry.

Five years after historic tobacco ruling, 'nothing has changed'