Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Police are looking for a suspect in a shooting that injured three people and caused an hours-long lockdown at West Edmonton Mall last year.

Officers responded in August 2023 to an exchange of gunfire between two groups in the mall parkade, and police say it was targeted. 

Three men involved in the shooting were hurt. 

Police say a Canada-wide warrant was been issued for Leron Andrew John on several firearms charges. 

The 24-year-old has been added to Canada's 25 Most Wanted list compiled by BOLO, a federal program that helps police find suspects. 

Police say he has ties to Edmonton and the Northwest Territories, where he's wanted on more firearms and drug charges. 

“Our Firearms Investigations Unit officers are working with the BOLO program to help locate Leron John for his role in a brazen outdoor shooting that took place at one of the world’s busiest shopping malls during daylight hours," Staff Sgt. Eric Stewart, with the Edmonton police guns and gangs unit, said in a news release. 

“Numerous civilian vehicles were struck, a stray bullet travelled five blocks and struck a parked vehicle in a residential area near playgrounds and a school, and this shooting event was the catalyst for a lockdown event at West Edmonton Mall that caused people to have to shelter in place for hours while a police tactical unit cleared the facility."

MORE National ARTICLES

Woman found dead in South Vancouver

Woman found dead in South Vancouver
Police say a woman has been found dead in south Vancouver. An investigation is now underway in an area near the Fraserview Golf Course. 

Woman found dead in South Vancouver

Decline in home sales: GVREB

Decline in home sales: GVREB
Greater Vancouver's real estate board says there were about 24-hundred home sales in the region last month. It represents a 4.7 per cent decrease from the roughly 25-hundred sales recorded in March last year. 

Decline in home sales: GVREB

B.C. government targets 'profiteers' with legislation to bring in flipping tax

B.C. government targets 'profiteers' with legislation to bring in flipping tax
Finance Minister Katrine Conroy told the legislature that the tax is aimed at speculators who use housing only to turn a quick profit and it will make "profiteers think twice about a practice that inflates housing costs during a housing crisis."

B.C. government targets 'profiteers' with legislation to bring in flipping tax

BC Hydro wants more clean power to help meet demand, clean energy targets

BC Hydro wants more clean power to help meet demand, clean energy targets
BC Hydro is looking for more clean power to add to its grids as electricity demands are expected to increase by 15 per cent in the next six years. The Ministry of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation says the Crown power utility has issued its first call in 15 years and is looking to acquire about 3,000 gigawatt hours per year. 

BC Hydro wants more clean power to help meet demand, clean energy targets

Canadian man killed providing aid in Gaza was a military veteran with a young son

Canadian man killed providing aid in Gaza was a military veteran with a young son
A Canadian man killed along with six other aid workers in the Gaza Strip on Monday is a military veteran from Quebec who leaves behind a partner and a one-year-old son. Jacob Flickinger, 33, was one of seven people in a convoy of World Central Kitchen vehicles when it was hit by an Israeli airstrike in what Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has described as a tragic mistake.

Canadian man killed providing aid in Gaza was a military veteran with a young son

Speed limiting devices to become mandatory on heavy B.C. commercial trucks

Speed limiting devices to become mandatory on heavy B.C. commercial trucks
The British Columbia Transportation Ministry says commercial trucks above a certain weight will soon be required to be fitted with technology to limit how fast they travel on provincial roadways.  The ministry says the "speed-limiter devices" will be mandatory on April 5 for commercial trucks weighing more than 11,793 kilograms and if they were built after 1994. 

Speed limiting devices to become mandatory on heavy B.C. commercial trucks