Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Police are looking for a suspect in a shooting that injured three people and caused an hours-long lockdown at West Edmonton Mall last year.

Officers responded in August 2023 to an exchange of gunfire between two groups in the mall parkade, and police say it was targeted. 

Three men involved in the shooting were hurt. 

Police say a Canada-wide warrant was been issued for Leron Andrew John on several firearms charges. 

The 24-year-old has been added to Canada's 25 Most Wanted list compiled by BOLO, a federal program that helps police find suspects. 

Police say he has ties to Edmonton and the Northwest Territories, where he's wanted on more firearms and drug charges. 

“Our Firearms Investigations Unit officers are working with the BOLO program to help locate Leron John for his role in a brazen outdoor shooting that took place at one of the world’s busiest shopping malls during daylight hours," Staff Sgt. Eric Stewart, with the Edmonton police guns and gangs unit, said in a news release. 

“Numerous civilian vehicles were struck, a stray bullet travelled five blocks and struck a parked vehicle in a residential area near playgrounds and a school, and this shooting event was the catalyst for a lockdown event at West Edmonton Mall that caused people to have to shelter in place for hours while a police tactical unit cleared the facility."

MORE National ARTICLES

Indo-Canadian sentenced for carrying loaded 'ghost gun' in mall

Indo-Canadian sentenced for carrying loaded 'ghost gun' in mall
A 23-year-old Indo-Canadian has been sentenced to more than two years in prison for carrying a loaded "ghost gun" at a mall in the country's British Columbia province. Arunjit Singh Virk, who was arrested in March 2021, was also prohibited from possessing any firearm, restricted weapon, or ammunition for 10 years, Ontario-based CTV News reported on Tuesday.

Indo-Canadian sentenced for carrying loaded 'ghost gun' in mall

Poilievre says he's opposed to using puberty blockers to treat young people

Poilievre says he's opposed to using puberty blockers to treat young people
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre confirmed Wednesday that he's opposed to allowing the use of puberty blockers on children. Poilievre made the comment during a barrage of media questions about his views on gender-affirming medical treatments for transgender youth.   

Poilievre says he's opposed to using puberty blockers to treat young people

Calgary police say business cards handed out with free cocaine samples

Calgary police say business cards handed out with free cocaine samples
Police have laid drug-trafficking charges after a man allegedly handed out business cards with free samples of cocaine in Calgary. Officers patrolling a downtown casino became aware of the cards on Christmas Eve after they were given out to patrons.

Calgary police say business cards handed out with free cocaine samples

Immigration minister 'pissed off' that Canadians' families blocked from leaving Gaza

Immigration minister 'pissed off' that Canadians' families blocked from leaving Gaza
Canada's immigration minister is "pissed off" that a list of people related to Canadians are being blocked from leaving the embattled Gaza Strip, he said Wednesday.  Ottawa started accepting applications last month to reunite as many as 1,000 people in the Palestinian territory with extended family members in Canada.

Immigration minister 'pissed off' that Canadians' families blocked from leaving Gaza

Ridge Meadows RCMP asking hit and run driver to turn themselves in

Ridge Meadows RCMP asking hit and run driver to turn themselves in
The Ridge Meadows R-C-M-P is asking the driver of a 2000s white Toyota hatchback to turn themselves in after being involved in a hit and run last month.  Police say the vehicle hit a pedestrian on January 26th in Maple Ridge.  

Ridge Meadows RCMP asking hit and run driver to turn themselves in

Minister backs shift away from privately owned rooming hotels after B.C. fire inquest

Minister backs shift away from privately owned rooming hotels after B.C. fire inquest
British Columbia's housing minster says the province needs to shift away from accommodating vulnerable people in privately owned rooming hotels — but it won't be fast or cheap. Ravi Kahlon's remarks come after the jury in a coroner's inquest into the deadly 2022 Winters Hotel fire in Vancouver made more than two dozen safety recommendations on Monday.  

Minister backs shift away from privately owned rooming hotels after B.C. fire inquest